Shopping in Firth Park in the 60's/70's

There was a Woolworth's at Firth Park.

Thanks Francy

Woolworths was definitely next to Fine Fare. I went in it often.

It can be seen on a photo on Picture Sheffield ( right under the Firth Park Bowl sign )

me to I can remember Wollies

I will only believe it when Mr Hillsboro confirms it.

I will only believe it when Mr Hillsboro confirms it.
Hmmmm.... Well, being Hillsborough born and bred I'm no expert on Firth Park :) but there was evidently a Woollies on Sicey Avenue, built on the site of the old Paragon cinema. This is according to a 'Sheffield History' forum thread. Here is a link - scroll down to the fourth post by "mickjj". Other sources state that it was next to a Fine Fare as 'francypants' mentioned. Edited by hillsbro

Thank you Hillsbro, you are a gent. Woolworth's was where Jack Fulton's is now.

Hmmmm.... Well, being Hillsborough born and bred I'm no expert on Firth Park :) but there was evidently a Woollies on Sicey Avenue, built on the site of the old Paragon cinema. This is according to a 'Sheffield History' forum thread. Here is a link - scroll down to the fourth post by "mickjj". Other sources state that it was next to a Fine Fare as 'francypants' mentioned.

Thanks for your swift response MR H. lived in Shiregreen/ Firth Pk. all my life and would have bet all the tea in China that there was no Woollies in Firth Pk. Sorry for ever doubting you Jane, I should have known better.

Thanks for your swift response MR H. lived in Shiregreen/ Firth Pk. all my life and would have bet all the tea in China that there was no Woollies in Firth Pk. Sorry for ever doubting you Jane, I should have known better.

No Problem Pads. I was only young when I lived there but I do remember it. On the other end of that block somewhere was a fruit shop that had a machine that gave you your change instead of the till operator handing it to you. I thought it was magic.:hihi:

Edited by jane2008

Definitely woolworths there. I bought our first Xmas tree and baubles there in 1964. Still have the unbroken baubles too.

Never needed to go into town for anything really as Firth Park had it all. Town was simply for the markets and C & A Modes.

I remember Woollies on Sicey below the bowling alley. They sold pick and mix, one in the bag one in the pocket...

I remember Woollies on Sicey below the bowling alley. They sold pick and mix, one in the bag one in the pocket...

That's how we used to measure things ?

Always had my doubts about you Mr Fergus. It seems that those doubts were well founded.

The sweet shop across from the Paragon was it called Hibbertsons or something similar ?It was just above the chip shop if my memory is correct.