Shopping in Firth Park in the 60's/70's

I went to Shiregreen School and used to go to the Paragon fish and chip shop at lunchtimes, they did half an uncut small loaf with the bread scooped out and filled with chips. The Paragon cinema was opposite, which did a matinee on Sat afternoons. For one shilling ('old'money), we got cinema (pictures) ticket, ice cream in interval, chips from Paragon chippie afterwards. This was in 1950's.

Anyone else remember?

---------- Post added 20-08-2018 at 16:38 ----------

I went to Sally Carmichael's dance school above bellhouse road club, with Marti Cain(Lyn Shepherd) from 1959 to 1962. Anyone else on here went there?

I went to Shiregreen School and used to go to the Paragon fish and chip shop at lunchtimes, they did half an uncut small loaf with the bread scooped out and filled with chips. The Paragon cinema was opposite, which did a matinee on Sat afternoons. For one shilling ('old'money), we got cinema (pictures) ticket, ice cream in interval, chips from Paragon chippie afterwards. This was in 1950's.

Anyone else remember?

---------- Post added 20-08-2018 at 16:38 ----------

I went to Sally Carmichael's dance school above bellhouse road club, with Marti Cain(Lyn Shepherd) from 1959 to 1962. Anyone else on here went there?

We went to Hoskins on bellhouse rd at dinner time, same period. Mr H Lamb was the headmaster.

Yes, Mr Lamb was the headmaster and his son went to the school.

---------- Post added 20-08-2018 at 20:05 ----------

Mrs Fincham was the deputy head, a real battleaxe as I remember!

I was at school at same time as padders. Left in 1958 and was head boy with Margaret Vessy

who was head girl

I was at school at same time as padders. Left in 1958 and was head boy with Margaret Vessy

who was head girl

Hi Malc, hope your keeping well, nice to hear from you.

I remember going to the Paragon before & at the beginning of the war. We used to use pea shooters & peanuts, it was also good fun to shoot from catapults rolled up sweet wrappers into the beam of the projected film.

---------- Post added 26-08-2018 at 13:52 ----------

On BELL house RD. there was a toy shop which sold Chemist sets, I would stand gazing at these delights with longing.

who was head girl

My God can not believe you were head boy Malc.You must have changed a hell of a lot as you grew older mate .All ways remember the good times in Bridge St.

My God can not believe you were head boy Malc.You must have changed a hell of a lot as you grew older mate .All ways remember the good times in Bridge St.

So do I Charlie, he was a bit better than Arthur Handley.

Lived away from Sheffield for 40 years but this was my era. Lived in Hinde House Lane and went to Firth Park School. as a kid Kenyons has fond memories as a great toy shop, and being dragged to Fine fare where everything had yellow labels

Lived away from Sheffield for 40 years but this was my era. Lived in Hinde House Lane and went to Firth Park School. as a kid Kenyons has fond memories as a great toy shop, and being dragged to Fine fare where everything had yellow labels

And woolworths next door

And woolworths next door

Can"t remember Woolworths at Firth Pk. Jane:huh:

Woolworths was definitely next to Fine Fare. I went in it often.

It can be seen on a photo on Picture Sheffield ( right under the Firth Park Bowl sign )