Shopping in Firth Park in the 60's/70's

I left school in 1961( Southey Green). My first job was at Wild's fishmongers Firth Park. Right hand side up the gennil (Quadrent). They used to leave money around, to see if I would pick it up and hand it in or keep it. I always handed it in. Whilst there my granddad died. His funeral was held on a Friday. When i asked if I could take the day off to attend his funeral, they said no, because Friday was their busiest day. I left. They were not good people to work for. Always remember catching the bus number 1 outside the Paragon. No one ever sat near me because I stunk of fish.

My Grandad used to get the scraps of fish from Wild's to feed to his greyhounds

My mum used to shop there and always said it was a good shop and treated customers well but a bit hard on staff apparently .

I can remember the shop was always busy. All the customers were very nice and friendly.

They used to put the days takings down some steps in the back room. You lifted a trap door it was like a cellar. I was told never to go down there, either on my own or with anyone else. They never trusted anyone. The old man was the worst out of all of them.

Know it was a fishmongers but didn't they also sell rabbits skinned and hung up on a rail .

Know it was a fishmongers but didn't they also sell rabbits skinned and hung up on a rail .

Are you sure they were rabbits and not the strung up remains of people who had dared to open the trap door where the takings were kept ? :hihi:

Worked for Stan Barron in record bar lovely man best boss you could wish for.

You are correct Barrons was a very good shop bought my first record player from there and he gave me two free records to get started .

You are correct Barrons was a very good shop bought my first record player from there and he gave me two free records to get started .

Ha! Ha! Ha! I bet you played those 2 records over + over + over + over ..... :hihi:

Yes I Did used to drive my mum mad. Lonnie Donigan and the platters . First album was Please please me and bought from Barrons

Fine fare co op was it cromptons electric s top man got my first tape player £15.00 at about £1 a month paragon chippy top chip shop always big queues next door hibbots sweet shop mt first job was at jim smiths fruit shop sat mornins plus worked at two paper shops GREEDY old man revil up the chenel and GTnews Bellhouse

Rons card shop stil there and he stil helps his son who runs shop now can go on for ever one last one chinese chipy bottom of belhouse road owners name Gordonwas chase ed many a time by him but top bloke

The nice guy who worked in Cromptons electrical shop also played the drums at Bellhouse WMC

Hi Timbuck. The record shop was S. Barron & Co. There from 1953 to 1965 Stan Barron was my dad. He was a bit of a character with big moustache, Kids all called him Snudge. ( from TV program) Not only did he sell records but Tvs fridges etc. He used to have 6d in the slot TV. I was the first kid in the class who could count to 40 as I had to bag up all the 6ds before I could go out to play. There was a fantastic sweet shop up the alley to the left. Dad used to bring home a huge bag of goodies at the weekend. Just remembered Marty Kane used to sell records there as well.

I worked for your dad lovely boss in 60's record bar at firth park your mum Amy lovely too great times.