Has any one had a hip operation?

I had both my hips replaced 3 years ago with a 2 month gap between each operation. Elected for an epidural - or spinal block as it is sometimes known -each time along with a sedative. This puts you in to a deep sleep - I felt and heard nothing. Recovery time is much quicker that with a general anaesthetic. I'm sure you'll be fine.

thank you both i think my biggest fear is the spinal epidural as i do not want to hear things - do they provide earphones do you know? just want ti over now.

I had general anaesthetic and wasn't given the option of an epidural, but I know my leg was elevated in traction and I was on my side for the operation and was told they have to use a lot of pressure (leaning etc) so probably isn't appropriate for an epidural. I know I wouldn't have wanted to know what was happening to me anyway, not just because of the pain side of things but the embarrassment as well...I'm a 29 year old female and knowing your leg is elevated therefore things may be on show is not an appealing thought :-)

thank you for the reassurance all - my assessment meant i was at the hospital for 5 hours so i now can't remember if i was given options as i was in a very emotional state in some ways i wish they would do both hips at once as i fear that i would not return. just want it over with.

I knew of someone who had the spinal block with sedative when having bi-lateral hip surgery. It worked extremely well and that is why I elected to go down the same route. It is a very successful and completely safe way of operating. If you have already had your pre-op I think you should ring the hospital asap and ask if you can have the surgery via this method - assuming that's what you want to do. Hopefully they will discuss it with you. Good luck. Oh - and forget the embarrassment thing - what's the point in fretting about that!

I knew of someone who had the spinal block with sedative when having bi-lateral hip surgery. It worked extremely well and that is why I elected to go down the same route. It is a very successful and completely safe way of operating. If you have already had your pre-op I think you should ring the hospital asap and ask if you can have the surgery via this method - assuming that's what you want to do. Hopefully they will discuss it with you. Good luck. Oh - and forget the embarrassment thing - what's the point in fretting about that!

The point in fretting about it is that is an important thing to me. Some people worry about the pain, some people worry about needles, some people worry about hospitals/doctors etc and I don't like the embarrassment side of it. Saying 'Oh and forget about x,y,z' is an absolutely pointless thing to say to anyone. Just because something isn't an issue to you it doesn't make it the same for others.