One year old in Wakefield killed by Rottweiller

Here we go again! Why does every thread when people are talking about rotties do people mention labradors!!! Im fed up to the back teeth of it!!!! This thread isnt about labs!

no it isnt and its not about ALL rottweilers either, it is about ONE who attacked a child, so i get fed up to the back teeth of people saying they are ALL killers. like it or lump it rotties are the generally the same height as labs, it was merely an observation that the size are the same but the opinion very different

I understand your fustration ruth ........ and your saying not all rottys are nasty vicious beasts ... and your right, however, not all rotties are soft overgrown teddy bears either(as it seems yours is). I know your instinct is to defend your beloved dogs, but you can deny that when a rotty does attack, it can cause horrific injuries, most dogs would break the skin and leave 'slight scars' ... rottys are so powerful they can rip the flesh right off of someone, and in this latest case ... cost the life of a child.

I am getting bored of people adding how nasty small dogs are .... what a lab might do etc, the debate is not about how nasty the rotty breed is, its about the devistating damage a rotty can do if it does attack .. and its a hell of a lot more damage than most breeds could manage.

Rottweilers are huge powerful animals which, in the right hands can be beautiful pets, because of the recent spate of rotty attacks, i do think the government should intervene and set some guidelines on ownership

no it isnt and its not about ALL rottweilers either, it is about ONE who attacked a child, so i get fed up to the back teeth of people saying they are ALL killers. like it or lump it rotties are the generally the same height as labs, it was merely an observation that the size are the same but the opinion very different

labs are also the same height as dalmatians, springer spaniels etc...but i dont hear people comparing them do I. Therefore I have every right to be fed up of it. Just as you do about the points people are making about rotties.

There is a thread in the pet section about rotties and people have brought labs into it aswel. Does my head.

labs are also the same height as dalmatians, springer spaniels etc...but i dont hear people comparing them do I. Therefore I have every right to be fed up of it. Just as you do about the points people are making about rotties.

quite right and i apologise if i have offended it is just to me the lab is the popular 'british family pet' and i was trying to make a point:)

quite right and i apologise if i have offended it is just to me the lab is the popular 'british family pet' and i was trying to make a point:)

Its ok ruth, im fed up of these threads the same as you are, rotties arent a breed would have but my friend has one i its lovely.

i do think the government should intervene and set some guidelines on ownership

i completly agree, i think all protential owners should have to undergo extensive training with an exam at the end..... a bit like dog borstal because of the sheer strength of these animals if nothing else,

it also worries me when i hear that some owners think it is okay for their rottie to growl when trying to take its food etc from it, NO WAY is this acceptable and if any of mine tried it on growling with me then they would be in the dog house{excuse the pun}

no matter how much you love you dog it is important to remember that in the pecking order it IS beneath you, that means no growling at all under any circumstances

it also worries me when i hear that some owners think it is okay for their rottie to growl when trying to take its food etc from it, NO WAY is this acceptable and if any of mine tried it on growling with me then they would be in the dog house{excuse the pun}

no matter how much you love you dog it is important to remember that in the pecking order it IS beneath you, that means no growling at all under any circumstances

I think you've hit the nail on the head right there .... irrispective of breed, if all owners took your advice, there would never be any dog attacks

It is sad to think that the recent flurry of publicity of Rottweiller attacks may serve to increase the fear of the breed and hence increase their attractiveness to those who want them for that very reason.

It is sad to think that the recent flurry of publicity of Rottweiller attacks may serve to increase the fear of the breed and hence increase their attractiveness to those who want them for that very reason.

... who would more than likely also be the type who would flout any legislation brought in to vet owners.

... who would more than likely also be the type who would flout any legislation brought in to vet owners.

its godda be said but your avatar is fab:D

i have not yet met an 'aggressive' breed that would attack without the owners consent, i have however experienced very noisy rotties and staffies that don't want you on thier 'land'. my dog, a staffie, would not and does not show aggressive behaviour, we play fetch, we go on long walks and he is trusted to sleep at the side of our daughter on the rug but he never shows aggression, they are relatively young(my daughter and the dog) and he follows her everywhere, he loves the treats she gives him and he obeys her more than the wife.

anyone who says that dogs are too dangerous is an idiot. dogs are pack animals and follow instinct. they have a very small understanding of human life and are placed as they are seen by the 'alpha' male/female.

i would love to see how many 'attacking' dogs have been trained to grab or chew ropes and stuff you can buy in supermarkets as apposed to the ones who get regular feed times, regular walk times and regualar play times!

i have not yet met an 'aggressive' breed that would attack without the owners consent, i have however experienced very noisy rotties and staffies that don't want you on thier 'land'. my dog, a staffie, would not and does not show aggressive behaviour, we play fetch, we go on long walks and he is trusted to sleep at the side of our daughter on the rug but he never shows aggression, they are relatively young(my daughter and the dog) and he follows her everywhere, he loves the treats she gives him and he obeys her more than the wife.

anyone who says that dogs are too dangerous is an idiot. dogs are pack animals and follow instinct. they have a very small understanding of human life and are placed as they are seen by the 'alpha' male/female.

i would love to see how many 'attacking' dogs have been trained to grab or chew ropes and stuff you can buy in supermarkets as apposed to the ones who get regular feed times, regular walk times and regualar play times!

I'm very much inclined to agree with this. I was brought up with dogs, and daft as it sounds, I've never ever had a problem with a dog.

Dogs are so much easier to deal with than women too .......