Has Anyone Taken An Employer To Court Before??

Hi folks

I was just wondering whether anyone had took their employer to court before?

I'm in a situation where my employer has agreed to pay for me to access a professional course, but states I now I have to move departments to undertake it. This was not mentioned before and I'm considering taking legal action if need be as I think it will be big upheavel to start a new job and a degree course....

Does anyone have thoughts or positive contributions?

At first reading, and going only on the information provided in this post, I'd say jump for it!

They're going to pay for you to study for a degree (estimated £5 grand (and the rest!) if you paid for it yourself) and give you a new job. So, that's more education and experience for your CV. I can't see why they would even consider doing this if you weren't valuable to them.

But then I can't see why you're considering legal action for the 'big upheavel'. Does it involve relocation / disruption of your personal life / interruption of a particular project that needs finishing or what? If you can explain the problem more clearly, it might make more sense to those of us who see a great opportunity.

I can see why you're upset if the employer has suddenly imposed a condition that wasn't in place before; but I don't think you can force your employer to pay the fees without it. They could simply withdraw funding altogether.

Work with your employer, not against them. You have to be political and diplomatic in the world of work if you want to advance.

I would forget the idea of suing them and instead explain your situation and thoughts to them. See if a solution can be found.

It sounds like they value you (to the tune of a degree course, which is not inconsiderable)!

And here's a thought (a vague one, not knowing your employers or situation that well)... if they are paying for you to better yourself with qualifications, they probably expect you to advance in your career quickly, to your benefit and theirs... perhaps this move is the first part of your advancement... give you a new challange to overcome. Why not grasp it???

I agree with the above - I think you'd be mad to try and take legal action against your employer, who it seems are offering you a great opportunity and paying for it.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

At first reading, and going only on the information provided in this post, I'd say jump for it!

They're going to pay for you to study for a degree (estimated £5 grand (and the rest!) if you paid for it yourself) and give you a new job. So, that's more education and experience for your CV. I can't see why they would even consider doing this if you weren't valuable to them.

But then I can't see why you're considering legal action for the 'big upheavel'. Does it involve relocation / disruption of your personal life / interruption of a particular project that needs finishing or what? If you can explain the problem more clearly, it might make more sense to those of us who see a great opportunity.

Yes this move would involve involve relocation to another part of the city and may inconvenience my current childcare arrangements. But I see the point of the comments on here. I may have to go a few steps backwards to go a few forwards. Thanks for your input folks.