Council -v- Private Housing

Council Housing

You pay less. I know of someone who pays 35.00 a week to live in one. The Council fixes any problems and puts in double glazing. They use the best bricks for your wall.

Private Housing

You pay shed loads to own your own home. Anyhting goes wrong YOU fix it.

LEts all live in Council houses

:D

That sounds like a very communist notion, that I have some sympathy with.

We could nationalise the British Housing Stock, and make every house a council house, and then allocate houses according to need. Of course that's when the arguments start.

I have lived in council properties for seventy five years and still do, why? because I have always had to work for a poverty wage with a wife and two children to support, so, I haven't had a choice.

When I was married in 1950, my wage was £5 per week gross and my wife could not work, so, I was the only source of income and I had to work overtime in order to survive.

My point is, how could I even save for a deposit to buy my own house? I didn't smoke, I didn't drink, and I only swore when it slipped out, Ha Ha, Joke! but seriously, we didn't have a cat in hells chance of buying our own home.

If you are happy with living in a coucil house then I'm happy for you.

I was brought up on a council estate and had a lovely childhood.

I now own my own house (well i will in 20 years), you can;t find a better investment than property. In 20 years, my mortgage will have finished and my house my own and no rent to pay for. You will be paying yours for life and never being able to reap the benefits of private housing.

There are good point and bad points to both sides of the coin.

There are a lot of drug dealers/takers on the estate I used to live. Although you can find them anywhere, they are more likely to be on a council estate becuase the housing is more affordable.

*(Gets ready for the flames)*:headbang:

I was dragged up on the Badger estate in the 70's and also had a great childhood. Streams, fields and woodland right on your doorstep, plus many houseproud tenants with tidy houses and immaculate gardens.

Going back down there now just doesn't feel the same, it seems much more intimidating.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

If you are happy with living in a coucil house then I'm happy for you.

I was brought up on a council estate and had a lovely childhood.

I now own my own house (well i will in 20 years), you can;t find a better investment than property. In 20 years, my mortgage will have finished and my house my own and no rent to pay for. You will be paying yours for life and never being able to reap the benefits of private housing.

There are good point and bad points to both sides of the coin.

There are a lot of drug dealers/takers on the estate I used to live. Although you can find them anywhere, they are more likely to be on a council estate becuase the housing is more affordable.

*(Gets ready for the flames)*:headbang:

Or free in most drug cases as they don't hold a job down because of there habbit.

An investment you say.

Well in a way yes but i don't really think of it as that because i will never really gain out of it financially, but my kids will.

Theres the added bonus when you have paid for it you have no rent to pay but do pensioners actually pay rent.

The good thing is about having your own home is you can do what you want to it and you don't move out and leave all your work for someone else.

Archived