Rolling Mill Occupation

This is a list of the workers on our rolling mill(set).

Roller

Under roller

Middlers (front and back)

Cog backer

Belter down or cogger down

Furnace man or puller out

Charger or pusherman.

Runner out

Straightener.

Odd lad.

Any Iron and Steel workers out there know what a ' Bolter Down in a Rolling Mill ' is or was? Can you let me know please.

Still being interested in a Bolter Down I managed to find it listed on this page as an occupation

http://www.salaryexpert.com/?FuseAction=Products.epro-jobs&title=B

Would love a detailed explanation. Still looking.:)

A bolter(belter)down was the first man to receive the hot billet from the furnace he would then shove it into a pair of steel rolls with his hand tongues.When it went through the rolls it was made smaller in diameter by stretching,i.e. a hot 3" bar going into a cold 2/12" square hole stretched it and reduced the diameter.When it went through the rolls a man at the back(cog backer) would catch it with his tongues and shove it through a smaller hole in the rolls.Each time the billet would get smaller in diameter and longer in length until the required size was reached then the long bar would then be passed to the next set of rolls until the require size was reached.

I started work as an apprentice roll turner at J.M.Moorewoods Ltd. Stephensen Rd. Attercliffe. in late 1963. Didn't finish my time. Not actually in the rolling mill but in the machine shop making the rolls. Decided all that glamour wasn't for me!!

Edited by shinysheff

A bolter(belter)down was the first man to receive the hot billet from the furnace he would then shove it into a pair of steel rolls with his hand tongues.When it went through the rolls it was made smaller in diameter by stretching,i.e. a hot 3" bar going into a cold 2/12" square hole stretched it and reduced the diameter.When it went through the rolls a man at the back(cog backer) would catch it with his tongues and shove it through a smaller hole in the rolls.Each time the billet would get smaller in diameter and longer in length until the required size was reached then the long bar would then be passed to the next set of rolls until the require size was reached.

Many thanks Kidorry for your great explanation. Much appreciated! An interesting subject!My grandfather lived in Smithfield in 1911 .As you are so knowledgeable on the subject perhaps you could suggest which rolling mill he may have worked at????

It could have been one of dozens because most steel companies had their own rolling mills to roll the steel that they produced.

i remember the rolling mills on penistone road and also eaton booths opposite. my dad worked there. part of the building of rolling mills is still there....! dad use to take us across the road to the royal pub wen he got paid. in which we drank pop through a paper striped straw:)

i worked at avesta/outokumpu a few year ago, just before they wound thier operation down.

i worked as a crane operater in the trade center which was basically a finnishing shop for stainless sheet.

there were many operations and finishes applied to the sheet.

i found it very interesting and the industrial history of sheffield and surrounding towns is slowly getting forgotton.

it was a sad day when they started to knock down the buildings on the shepcote lane site.

my claim to fame: the large clock/temperature read out that was on the wall of the building visible from the motorway. i unloaded it from the lorry prior to it bieng installed, it cost over £15k and almost didnt make it in one piece!!!!

Could anyone tell me what a middler did, please?

It was because he worked on a set of rolls in the middle of the train(3-4-or 5 sets of stands with rolls in and all attached to each other).

i remember the rolling mills on penistone road and also eaton booths opposite. my dad worked there. part of the building of rolling mills is still there....! dad use to take us across the road to the royal pub wen he got paid. in which we drank pop through a paper striped straw:)

Bet you cant remember the diameter of the straw.