Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

Just found this thread, fascinating stuff. Does anyone remember a club in Sheffield called Shades? I lived in Wakefield and a boyfriend used to bring me over to Shades in Sheffield. Did anyone ever come over to Wakefield to the first ever disco in Wakefield called The Place. I remember Pete Stringfellow coming over there to see the manager Dave who also used to manage bands in Barnsley. I believe Pete and Dave were friends. I often wonder what happened to Dave.

It sounds like you guys might be interested in this link.

Hendrix plays the Mojo[/url]

I was too young to get in in those days but it wasn't for the want of trying.

I remember trying to get this lass to sneak me in when Procul Harem played there.

Without sucess.

Hi all,

I dont remember Hendrix playing the mojo, but I think it was the same year he played the City Hall, I remember going to watch him, was about 14 at the time. Twas some gig, the guy was amazing, I guess he was my introduction to Rock/Blues and then onto Black Sabbath at City Hall a little heavier maybe but the beginnings of metal.

When we were younger we all went to a place called 'The Speakeasy' down Darnall, Top Rank, and also the place above the Ice Rink on Queens Road, got it now, Heatbeat. :loopy:

Memories :roll:

Hi

This is my first post, so be nice.

My Uncle used to be good mates with Peter Stringfellow. My mum has told me how Peter used to come round to thier house at Abbeydale to see my Uncle.

My son recently did some renovation work on the old Club 60 in Shalesmore. I understand that it is used for private functions, 1960's parties etc.

pete used to play cards at my grans every weekend with my mom and her brothers.. those were the days......

used to work with norma-petes first wife--knew them both went to a party with them at normas moms--doris--thats a long time ago -happy days

Shades was on Eccleshall Road, right hand side - somewhere just above the right turn onto Greystones Road.

Shades used to be Greystones cinema (I think). Went there a few times 1969/70. Great goat curry. Long walk back home to Fulwood.

Yes, that's the place. I remember the goat curry too. If I remember correctly it was a Caribbean type club that was popular with students. A bit different to the Motown type places mentioned in other parts of this thread.

Getting back to original thread I also used to visit a restaurant in the middle of Sheffield that was in a basement and that had tin cans as light shades. I think this place might have been something to do with Pete Stringfellow because the chap I went there with was a pal of Pete's. Can anybody remember that place?

Long drive back to Wakefield at 2.00 in the morning!:)

Hi, I used to work with JP in 66-67, in Hamburg and the UK. Any idea how to contact him. Would love to have a trip down memory lane. D

Hi, I used to work with JP in 66-67, in Hamburg and the UK. Any idea how to contact him. Would love to have a trip down memory lane. D

Sorry if I sound thick but who's JP???

Hi all. Been reading the excellant biography Of Peter Stringfellow 'King of Clubs', and it really does reveal a lot about the history of Sheffields pub and club circuit of the 50s 60s and early 70's. Also fascinating insight into local youth culture and trends of the 60's and the rise of the mega succesful MOJO club and the PENTHOUSE. Anyone wanting a good insight into Sheffield of this period should take a look through this book, its not just all glamour and glitzy self praise about being a superstar London club owner, but actually the first half of the book is an extremely well written account of Sheffield socio-cultural life.

Great read, and revealed some aspects of Sheffield culture of the 60's I never knew really existed here. Learnt a few things about the Penthouse (later REBELS) club I never knew about, in that it was not the glamorous "London comes to Sheffield with class and style" club it was supposed to be, but a rough and ready venue with a real reputation for fighting and violence.

ive just bought it off amazon for 1 pence lol

theres a few more penny sellers if anybody wants it

Good point, I noticed the spelling errors and quite a few geographical errors as well, ie The Penthouse club had a view overlooking the High Street, which it did not, it overlooked the road that runs through the Markets.
Not sure if it's true but I've heard that in the book Pete Stringfellow stated that Peter Green (Fleetrwood Mac) played guitar for 'Screaming Lord Sutch' at the Balck Cat Club in 1963, Our group 'The Drumbeats' supported Sutch & The Savages that night and I certainly doubt that Greenie was on guitar.

The Savages opened up with Griegs 'Dance Of The Imps In The Hall Of The Mountain King' from 'Pier Gynt'.