Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

my sister x husband use to work at the penthouse pete stay at my sister

my sister used to work inthe cloakrooms in the mojo club in the sixties she remembers many of the famous bands of that era playing therefrom what i can rember it was painted white and stood right at the the top of the hill at the corner of pitsmoor road and barnsley road

Mikey, the big Penthouse bouncer was Brian Turner. I saw several people who should have known better (and probably would have if they hadnt had a drink!) try to take him on. Those stairs were an awful long way down.

Its sad but true that in the end the first Stringfellow club to have an alcohol licence ended up having far too much booze fueled trouble. An eventual big change of crowd from the original Mojo-ites.

he must have relatives who live on regents court at hillsborough becasue i saw him walking in there the other sunday

Peter Stringfellows club on High Street was underneath Dolcis shoe shop and was called Broadway Bistrotheque, it was managed by Keith Williams who later went on to open Stringfellows in New York.

The MOJO club started life at Heeley next to Heeley Bridge.

'Down Broadway' as the high street club was known, was the first place in Sheffield to have a Microwave oven installed. It was fascinating to watch your pie and peas warm up in 2 minutes - Ho what a mis-spent youth!

the Mojo Club was never ever started in Heeley,that was highway 61 which came about ayear after the Mojo shut.

Feederfil - Your'e right it was Highway 61, remind me where was the MOJO?

I said I had a mis-spent youth........

BillyWhiz

Mojo was up Spital hill poss Burnegreave but he also had the Blue Moon on Nursery st near the Wicker

.One of the first live gigs, and certainly the first live soul gig, which I ever saw was a Mojo Club benefit night at the City Hall. It would probably have been in 1967. The line-up was The Trends, who didn't seem at all trendy as they were a guitar group at a time when soul bands were all the rage; The Amboy Dukes (UK version, not Ted Nugent's noisy lot); Ronnie Jones & The Q-Set; and topping the bill, The Original Drifters (who in fact included only one original Drifter, Bill Pinkney, who incidentally died last month aged 82. He was performing on the Beack Music scene in Carolina until quite recently.)

I cannot quite remember how, but my friend and I got backstage at one point and met Stringfellow who introduced us to The Drifters. I got their autographs on the sleeve of my copy of 'Under The Boardwalk' which I had taken with me on the off chance. I can recall that one of the other members was Mack Williams.

It was a dazzling show and confirmed what I already suspected, that I loved soul music. Any other forum members recall that evening?

Was a regular at the Mojo club about 1965/66 ish... met my husband there at an all-nighter! Can remember the pop art murals well! Saw lots of great acts there too. My friend fainted one night when the Small Faces were performing and the place was packed!.. i carried her outside and was directed into the front room which was where the Small Faces wergetting ready!.. got their autographs and chatted to them. We had some good times there!

Just started doing my family tree and Peter Stringfellow is in it. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing LOL:confused:

Thats interesting peter is my great couson or sumat along that line :hihi:

The Mojo was at the Toll Bar,junction of Pitsmoor Rd and Burngreave Rd.It was Days dancing school previous to being the Mojo and the Kings bingo Club after the Mojo