Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

Golden Fleece, I cant send private messages yet as I havent done enough postings on the forum. But yes, I have some photos of the Penthouse walls. There is also a chance they will be featured in a book about the Sheffield scene. What sort of description of the club layout do you want and, out of curiosity, why!

Just interested on the original layout and how it was different from the later Rebels layout....ie stage, bar, food area, etc. No pix seem to exist of the Penthouse interior and I would LOVE to see them......at one time it was painted purple (?) as there are areas of purple paint hidden above the suspended ceiling near the bar, so when that dates from must be pre-1982 Rebels....

It sounds like you guys might be interested in this link.

Hendrix plays the Mojo

I was too young to get in in those days but it wasn't for the want of trying.

I remember trying to get this lass to sneak me in when Procul Harem played there.

Without sucess.

Hi Goldenfleece/ I have an old black and white picture taken in the Penthouse in 1969. I was with the band playing that night and Pete is up on the stage with us. It was very early days and we were booked through Ray Stuart who I believe was also involved in agent work. The picture doesn't show the decor but I do remember it being purple in some areas, with a strobe light that drove you nuts on the stage. We were an agency band working out of Chesterfield called Friction. Hell of a job to get the gear up the stairs !!

wow this topic has brought back some very fond memories of Pete , Jeff and Teasdale clan at the Mojo and various other clubs. I also remember them hiring the City Hall ballroom for saturday evenings for a time. Does anyone else remember this?. My good friend at the time Wendy Slingsby once cut Petes hair up in their flat over the club. I was the model. What a hoot that was. I look forward to catching up with more tales from those fab days.

It was very early days and we were booked through Ray Stuart who I believe was also involved in agent work.

i did not know Ray was also an agent? I know he fronted the Frankenstein and the Monsters band in the early 60's but had no idea he went into promotions.....thought he became a DJ on Radio Sheffield around 1969/70 actually.....before joining Radio Hallam in 1974.

Hi Goldenfleece/ If it's the same Ray Stuart - he also booked us into the Black Swan for the much sought after saturday lunchtime spot about the same time. Only met him once - a fairly tall, muscular build guy with black hair ? We worked out of the bowling alley in Chesterfield through a manager/agent whose name I can't remember right now. This Ray Stuart handled all our Sheffield gigs, although we mainly worked the Newcastle/Sunderland area on weekends.

Originally posted by mickr

Hi Goldenfleece/ If it's the same Ray Stuart - he also booked us into the Black Swan for the much sought after saturday lunchtime spot about the same time. Only met him once - a fairly tall, muscular build guy with black hair ? We worked out of the bowling alley in Chesterfield through a manager/agent whose name I can't remember right now. This Ray Stuart handled all our Sheffield gigs, although we mainly worked the Newcastle/Sunderland area on weekends.

Yes its the same guy, Ray used to DJ in the Black Swan for a while.....

Hi countrygirl,

Were you a Mojo regular? We may have danced together!

I remember the City Hall ballroom Mojo gigs, especially during the depressing time just after the Mojo had closed. Or should I say had been forced to close! Pete and Jeff weren't particularly popular with the old establishment in the town hall and police depts at that time. Any excuse/reason whether true or not was used to close the Mojo. We all knew that and it didnt make us feel good towards the local police and politicians

The City Hall gigs were good, as they had much of the original Mojo crowd and the same fab music and good live acts. I sometimes filled in as DJ until Pete got there.

You said you were the 'model' when your friend cut Petes hair in his Mojo flat. I assume you meant a model for his haircut?

I remember hearing Stevie Wonder singing in Petes toilet in that flat once when he came for the Allnighter gig Or was thatthe Alldayer? Oh god my memorys hazy again!

Regards,

Paul Norton

I am not sure but i seem to remember Pete Stringfellow as the DJ at ST Peters church on Bellhouse Rd before he had the Mo Jo.

Hi all, my mum used to go out with Peter Stringfellow many moons ago, when she was about 16 or 17. This is not a good thought to have in my head!!

one of the best artists i saw at the esquire was jimmy powell from birmingham he had a belt with mouth organs all the way round like a cowboy wuld have guns he usedto play the mike stand like a lead guitar or base and he was fantastic to watch

I always thought the Penthouse was on Dixon Lane, the Mojo was at the top of Barnsley road near the junction with Pitsmoor road on way to fir vale.