Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

Yes, it's a fascinating read from a Sheffield point of view. But, as we've discussed here before, there are several glaring spelling mistakes relating to place names etc in the book (eg "Rivilin" instead of Rivelin).

The mistakes are no big deal in themselves, but a decent proof reader (preferably one from Sheffield) could have quickly fixed them and made it an even better book.

I had heard that he claimed in his book that Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) played at the Black Cat with Screaming Lord Sutch's Savages in 1963, I find that a bit difficult to believe.

perhaps a liitle late with this post,looking at the replies so far, I used to go to what we knew as just "Broadway" in 1969-70.... it was in the corner, below a shoe shop, about 4-5 shops down from the Old Blue Bell.

A great place to go, Motown stuff etc. great for dancing...., great memories....apart from some idiot trying to sell pills in the gents toilets!

Our claim to fame at the time was getting mates into Down Broadway for free. For a time an old "Mojo" stamp was used as a passout for " Down Broadway" We discovered that this was the same size as the letters on an old printing set so we made it up and the stamping was done in Dolcis doorway. Bought us many a soft drink in the Mustard seed and a rarer pint in the Mulberry.

Edited by mickyboy

Our claim to fame at the time was getting mates into Down Broadway for free. For a time an old "Mojo" stamp was used as a passout for " Down Broadway" We discovered that this was the same size as the letters on an old printing set so we made it up and the stamping was done in Dolcis doorway. Bought us many a soft drink in the Mustard seed and a rarer pint in the Mulberry.

I was good artist in those days and used to reproduce the mojo stamp on pals hands using a biro and managed to get free entry on many occasions. Fantastic days, I was only 16 and had the time of my life.

I had heard that he claimed in his book that Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) played at the Black Cat with Screaming Lord Sutch's Savages in 1963, I find that a bit difficult to believe.

He may be confused, I think the sax player with Sutch was called Peter Green.

used to dance on stage with me twin at the mojo club

Best days of my life Mojo closed on my 17th birthday thought my life was over. Had some great nights down Broadway too

What a place the Mojo was hey? It's almost 50 years ago now, the place was only open for about three years & we still talk about it. It was just what we Sheffield kids wanted. Music fashion dancing & someone as charismatic as Pete to put it all into being. Look at the artists that played there. We were so lucky to see them before most of them ever reached the dizzy heights of stardom. Had it not been for the Mojo I think a lot of us would literally have been walking around the streets of Sheffield & doing a lot more under age drinking that we actually did.

Wasn't it a pity that they didn't see Pete & Geoff & the Mojo club for what it really was rather than what people THOUGHT it was.

I remember it well, the Motown and Soul/Ska music just chucking your coat in the corner and dancing all night,in later years it was the "Penthouse" on Dixon Lane a guy called John was the manager and a mates mum did the cloakroom. They played varied tunes and one of the DJ's was a guy called Richard we used to sit on the corner of the stage and the drinks were cheap.

That's him but I'm pretty sure it was Jamaica Street on the left going up and near the bottom.

Jamaica St was to the right of Dwyers greengrocers(Phone box outside ) Kingston St on the left,

Edited by beezerboy

Jamaica St was to the right of Dwyers greengrocers(Phone box outside ) Kingston St on the left,

That's correct but I think you've misunderstood my post.

That's correct but I think you've misunderstood my post.

Oops,sorry. I believe that David Cocker lived around there, rode a Matchless motorbike