Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

Good point, I noticed the spelling errors and quite a few geographical errors as well, ie The Penthouse club had a view overlooking the High Street, which it did not, it overlooked the road that runs through the Markets.

Dixon Lane

Sorry if I sound thick but who's JP???

Sorry Andy I have asked the wrong person the question. That red wine was stronger than I thought. JP was Jimmy Powell of Jimmy Powell and the 5 Dimensions by the way. Soz:(:(

peter stringfellow ust 2 live at top of my mums road b 4 e became famous jus loook at him now n that was at pittsmoor well done peter stringfellow

Where abouts in Sheffield was Peter from? Where was he born & raised? I heard that he used to work for a money lending firm. Is this true? Anyone out there brought up woth him or know him? Whats he really like? He intrigues me

my family get a mention in the book...he states he used to prefer staying at the Bowers'....he is my second cousin........

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 09:55 ----------

Just started doing my family tree and Peter Stringfellow is in it. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing LOL:confused:

he is my second cousin

Unfortunately, I m old enough to remember the Penthouse. Does anyone remember the giant bouncer who used to work there? I was pretty young at the time but remember a couple of characters in particular from about 1973. There was the Bowie look alike and the cool dude with short fur jacket and beetle crushers who always did the Roxy Music dance. You know down on one knee? Then there was the old couple, man and woman, probably in their seventies who used to come in and dance. The long staicase up and then down, bit tricky it was. Pete Stubbs had a burger stall outside. Then the walk home back to Page Hall with Mailey, then up for school the next day!! Having said that I always prefered the Crazy Daisy.

I was a plumber got called out reguler to the penthouse for blocked toilets at night usually the ladies, they used to nick wallets and flush them down the bog flooding the place out, I did a job late one night and cleard them. next morning Geof in a panic called me out; we went into burtons and he said for f.... sake dont laugh, I had broken the drain which had flooded Burtons in sweet violets .happy days I did manage to keep a straight face. the manager who was a bit that way inclined was sobbing. Happy days and nights

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 20:56 ----------

Unfortunately, I m old enough to remember the Penthouse. Does anyone remember the giant bouncer who used to work there? I was pretty young at the time but remember a couple of characters in particular from about 1973. There was the Bowie look alike and the cool dude with short fur jacket and beetle crushers who always did the Roxy Music dance. You know down on one knee? Then there was the old couple, man and woman, probably in their seventies who used to come in and dance. The long staicase up and then down, bit tricky it was. Pete Stubbs had a burger stall outside. Then the walk home back to Page Hall with Mailey, then up for school the next day!! Having said that I always prefered the Crazy Daisy.

I was a plumber got calledlout reguler to the penthouse for blocked toilets at night usually the ladies they used to nick wallets and flush them down the bog flooding the place out I did job late one night and cleard them next morning Geof in a panic called me out we went into burtons and he said for f.... sake dont laugh I had broken the drain which had flooded Burtons in sweet violets happy days I did manage to kee a straight the manager who was a bit that way inclined was sobbing Happy days and nights

Edited by davebrmm
grammer mistakes

I always thought that the Mojo was up on Barnsley Road, near Burngreave Cemetry

sorry you guys but Stingfellows was down the wicker in the 60s & 70s

sorry you guys but Stingfellows was down the wicker in the 60s & 70s

Already been answered by Ruby (correctly) :-

The "King" Mojo was just opposite Abbeyfield Park, where that stone wall goes alongside the main road, there's a flats complex built there now. It was the old Day's dance hall prior to the Stringfellows taking it over.

Guess who signed Pete Stringfellow's passport application form . ME. At that time he lived with his mum and dad on the Gleadless Valley.

Already been answered by Ruby (correctly) :-

Wells Fargo man right again, the Wicker venue was the Blue Moon (Johnson St- Nursery St and building still there!) The Mojo's address was 555 Pitsmoor Road, now Firshill Mews (a Mews in Pitsmoor, I ask you!) there is an old wall in front of that property that divides Pitsmoor Road from Barnsley Road, the Abbeyfield Park side, but as local lads, we knew that right?

---------- Post added 15-02-2015 at 23:15 ----------

Hi Goldenfleece ,

In a thread about the Penthouse you menntion the boarded up windows at the far end which must of looked out onto the Haymarket and possibly the bottom of the High Street depending of course as to when the buildings across the road were built, although I'd never of described the Penthouse of having windows giving a very scenic view.

If it did have a view it would have been of the bottom of King Street and the back of the old C&A.

Wells Fargo man right again, the Wicker venue was the Blue Moon (Johnson St- Nursery St and building still there!) The Mojo's address was 555 Pitsmoor Road, now Firshill Mews (a Mews in Pitsmoor, I ask you!) there is an old wall in front of that property that divides Pitsmoor Road from Barnsley Road, the Abbeyfield Park side, but as local lads, we knew that right?

We did indeed. Incidentally, in Stringbean's book he says his family lived on Kingston Street at one time.

The Black Cat club in St Aidens church hall was the springboard that set the Stringfellow brothers on their way with quite a few up and coming bands playing there.

The Beatles were booked to play there for a fee of £85 but by the time the gig came around their rise to fame was under way so the Azena on White Lane Gleadless was chosen as a more spacious venue.