Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

Originally posted by carlishanel

Definitely have to agree with you about Turn-Ups, it was a great place to go! Though I am biased as I worked there. After closing we all used to jump in a cab and go to Fanny's at Owler Bar (previously Five Ways). Anyone remember it?

We all used to go to up to Fiveways after pub closing too ... I wonder if we know one another? After it changed to Fanny's I only went a couple of times - didn't they have bar staff dressed as bunny-girls there?

About the time TurnUps closed I was pregnant with my first baby and I didn't get to go out much for several years after that

and then I just couldn't get into going to the clubs in town somehow.

Albatross - I dont know about Stringy putting up money for the Esquire ... I thought the Esquire was there before any of their clubs were going ...well maybe the BlackCat at St Aidans Church Hall was in existence about the same time - i remember going to see Shane Fenton and the Fentones there (later he became Alvin Stardust) but it was really amateur hour as far as clubs went even in those days ... sorry Stringy if you ever read this :D ... but I could be wrong - it is over 40 years ago... memory plays tricks with us all.

Originally posted by extaxman

Didn't know Pete Stringfellow had written a biography......

Maybe he hasn't. Isn't a biography when someone else has written about 'you' and an autobiography is when you have written about yourself?

the st aidens church hall that as been mentioned....are we talking about the one on manor lane/city road? surley not:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by kirky

the st aidens church hall that as been mentioned....are we talking about the one on manor lane/city road? surley not:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Right first time Kirky, it was the Black Cat club for a few years.

Originally posted by goldenfleece

The ARK at Walkley? Where was that exactly? I know Walkley very well but not heard of that place before.

The band YES played at the Penthouse in 1969.....don't know if they played other Sheffield gigs at that time.

The ARK was on Roebuck Road and run by a couple of friends amongst others they were called Peter and Paul Metcalfe.

As for down Broadway went for an audition to d.j there and was glad I did not get it. Was a blood bath all night , afight started in the toilet (it was not sorted) blood everywhere. Then followed up on the dance floor blood all over the plated mirrors on the wall (then they were kicked out ). Then on finishing the fight continued outside and all the kids rushed onto the buses top decks (in the High Street)to get a better view.

Hi all,

Nice to see the great old clubs of Sheffield being discussed. I also went to most of the above mentioned. Had really good times in all of them at one time or another.

Also used to paint wall murals , my first try at that was the Mojo Club. I could draw and paint some, but had never tried murals. Pete talked me into doing it and I found it easier than I thought. In Sheffield I went on to paint up the Ark, Down Broadway, Penthouse and Charade. I hope some of you enjoyed what you saw!

Ah, what days, what music, what bands, what people!

Regards

Paul Norton

Just started doing my family tree and Peter Stringfellow is in it. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing LOL:confused:

Also used to paint wall murals , my first try at that was the Mojo Club. I could draw and paint some, but had never tried murals. Pete talked me into doing it and I found it easier than I thought. In Sheffield I went on to paint up the Ark, Down Broadway, Penthouse and Charade. I hope some of you enjoyed what you saw!

Regards

Paul Norton [/b]

I think you ought to write a book! Mr STringfellows book is a real gem of an insight into old Sheffield, I am sure you have some marvelllous stories to tell of the 'old days'?

Could this have been the "Crazy Daisy" or was this venue later ?

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Got one on Amazon a while back. Great read.

One venue not mentioned is the High STreet underground bar STringfellow ran around 1968/9 before the penthouse. I read this somewhere else that he briefly ran an underground bar on the High Street which apparently was a shoe shop on the ground floor. Now there were and have been a lot of shoe shops on High Street over the years so which one of these might have had an underground bar, apparently a large basement room which was big friday and Saturday night northern soul/disco event in 1968/9? Anyone know of a basement bar on the High street at this time which was a shoe shop upstairs? I believe it was apparently near the Old Bluebell but was this the Bluebell in 1968?

Regards

Paul Norton

You sound like agreat guy Paul wish I had met you

Hi Artisan and Golden Fleece,

Artisan, If you were around in 'the old days' I may have met you. Trouble is, I got to know an awful lot of people then, some very well, some casual and some by face only. Thats the way it was in those days. the selection of clubs and gigs was far less than today (but none the worse for it) so you kept bumping into each a lot of folks on a regular basis.

I regularly left home on a Friday to go to the Mojo, latch onto other gig, or a party, or All Nighter in Manchester or somewhere, and get back home sometime Sunday evening! Those were the days!

The sad thing about when the Mojo and others closed is you lost contact with a lot of regular scene faces. Talking of which- Jill Saxilby (as was) are you out there somewhere! You were one of my favourite Mojo dance partners! What a mover! Please get in touch if you are out there.

Golden Fleece, I cant send private messages yet as I havent done enough postings on the forum. But yes, I have some photos of the Penthouse walls. There is also a chance they will be featured in a book about the Sheffield scene. What sort of description of the club layout do you want and, out of curiosity, why!

To anyone else out there, do you have any photos/posters ect of the Mojo or its connected concerts and gig? If so please get in touch as I would love to do a swop with stuff I have.

Regards to all clubbers out there old and new,

Paul Norton