Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

Lot's of negatives about the Penthouse but I had some really good nights out down there courtesy of the 10 pence drinks nights. There were rumours of trouble and illegal substances but only if you were looking for them.

Where abouts in Sheffield was Peter from? Where was he born & raised? I heard that he used to work for a money lending firm. Is this true? Anyone out there brought up woth him or know him? Whats he really like? He intrigues me

Peter Stringfellow shaking hands with Maggie Thatcher at a fundraiser in the Daily Mirror what a sick sight.

I was a regular at Down Broadway on Sat nights.

Often kept waiting outside for Stringfellow and his brother

to open up the club.

No drinks license so had to geta pass out to nip into Blue Bell

next door.

Pity it was so small but had some good nights there.

Originally posted by Tim42

Where abouts in Sheffield was Peter from? Where was he born & raised? I heard that he used to work for a money lending firm. Is this true? Anyone out there brought up woth him or know him? Whats he really like? He intrigues me

He was born in Marshall Street, Pitsmoor. The family later moved to Gleadless Valley. They lived on Constable Road and other addresses on the estate.

If you can track it down, his autobiography King Of Clubs is worth a read (despite the spelling mistakes) and will give you all the background info you need. It was published by Warner Books in 1996

Yep I too went "Down Broadway" for about a year afore I was old enough to drink. They played some gr8 stuff. Funny enough we got passouts and went to Stonehouse, we felt Blue Bell was too close for a pull. A number of my m8s got pulled in BB for under aged drinking.

What about the Esquire club that was another of Pete's clubs.

It was down where the Leadmill is.

The Esquire wasn't a Stringfellow Brothers club, it was run by Terry Thornton I'm sure.

It was the first "proper" club I ever went to - I was about 14/15 I think and I can still remember what I wore. It was a great place, but I bet it would never even have been allowed to open these days ... what an accident waiting to happen ... the entrance up that narrow flight of stairs and the open area on the first floor with those flimsy railing round it ...

Hello Ruby Dazzler

Yes you are correct The Esquire was run by Terry Thornton. I work at The Leadmill and my office is the floor underneath the old Esquire.

Yes it was run by Terry but it was Pete Stringfellow I was led to belive that put the money up for it..

Definitely have to agree with you about Turn-Ups, it was a great place to go! Though I am biased as I worked there. After closing we all used to jump in a cab and go to Fanny's at Owler Bar (previously Five Ways). Anyone remember it?

Originally posted by rubydazzler

The "King" Mojo was just opposite Abbeyfield Park, where that stone wall goes alongside the main road, there's a flats complex built there now. It was the old Day's dance hall prior to the Stringfellows taking it over.

Saw some great bands there in the sixties... :D

Are you thinking of Turn-ups? That was at the old Nether Edge Dance Hall till some miserable party pooper residents got it closed down in the late seventies. It was a good place to go for the over 25s ... shame there's nowhere like it now. Brian Westlake was the resident DJ.

If I'm not mistaken he also used to live in the Lowedges area, his family had a shop there selling wool and things it was also the Post Office. My mum was good mates with him and he often used to come to my grans house when i was little.

Originally posted by mojoworking

He was born in Marshall Street, Pitsmoor. The family later moved to Gleadless Valley. They lived on Constable Road and other addresses on the estate.

If you can track it down, his autobiography King Of Clubs is worth a read (despite the spelling mistakes) and will give you all the background info you need. It was published by Warner Books in 1996