Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

Hi all. Been reading the excellant biography Of Peter Stringfellow 'King of Clubs', and it really does reveal a lot about the history of Sheffields pub and club circuit of the 50s 60s and early 70's. Also fascinating insight into local youth culture and trends of the 60's and the rise of the mega succesful MOJO club and the PENTHOUSE. Anyone wanting a good insight into Sheffield of this period should take a look through this book, its not just all glamour and glitzy self praise about being a superstar London club owner, but actually the first half of the book is an extremely well written account of Sheffield socio-cultural life.

Great read, and revealed some aspects of Sheffield culture of the 60's I never knew really existed here. Learnt a few things about the Penthouse (later REBELS) club I never knew about, in that it was not the glamorous "London comes to Sheffield with class and style" club it was supposed to be, but a rough and ready venue with a real reputation for fighting and violence.

Yes, it's a fascinating read from a Sheffield point of view. But, as we've discussed here before, there are several glaring spelling mistakes relating to place names etc in the book (eg "Rivilin" instead of Rivelin).

The mistakes are no big deal in themselves, but a decent proof reader (preferably one from Sheffield) could have quickly fixed them and made it an even better book.

Originally posted by mojoworking

Yes, it's a fascinating read from a Sheffield point of view. But, as we've discussed here before, there are several glaring spelling mistakes relating to place names etc in the book (eg "Rivilin" instead of Rivelin).

The mistakes are no big deal in themselves, but a decent proof reader (preferably one from Sheffield) could have quickly fixed them and made it an even better book.

Good point, I noticed the spelling errors and quite a few geographical errors as well, ie The Penthouse club had a view overlooking the High Street, which it did not, it overlooked the road that runs through the Markets.

Didn't know Pete Stringfellow had written a biography. Where can I get one and how much?

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Good point, I noticed the spelling errors and quite a few geographical errors as well, ie The Penthouse club had a view overlooking the High Street, which it did not, it overlooked the road that runs through the Markets.

Hi Goldenfleece ,

In a thread about the Penthouse you menntion the boarded up windows at the far end which must of looked out onto the Haymarket and possibly the bottom of the High Street depending of course as to when the buildings across the road were built, although I'd never of described the Penthouse of having windows giving a very scenic view.

Originally posted by extaxman

Didn't know Pete Stringfellow had written a biography. Where can I get one and how much?

I picked up a s/h copy in Rare & Racy in June for a couple of quid. Dunno if it's still available new.

Originally posted by mojoworking

I picked up a s/h copy in Rare & Racy in June for a couple of quid. Dunno if it's still available new.

Got one on Amazon a while back. Great read.

One venue not mentioned is the High STreet underground bar STringfellow ran around 1968/9 before the penthouse. I read this somewhere else that he briefly ran an underground bar on the High Street which apparently was a shoe shop on the ground floor. Now there were and have been a lot of shoe shops on High Street over the years so which one of these might have had an underground bar, apparently a large basement room which was big friday and Saturday night northern soul/disco event in 1968/9? Anyone know of a basement bar on the High street at this time which was a shoe shop upstairs? I believe it was apparently near the Old Bluebell but was this the Bluebell in 1968?

In a thread about the Penthouse you mention the boarded up windows at the far end which must of looked out onto the Haymarket and possibly the bottom of the High Street depending of course as to when the buildings across the road were built, although I'd never of described the Penthouse of having windows giving a very scenic view. [/b]

The Market area was far more fashionable in the late 60's then it became after the 70's. The markets were alive and kicking and the area was not run down and derelict like it is today. The view of course would not have been fantastic, as I checked it down by pulling down one of boards when we looked at the venue interior in 2001, but 30 years ago it might have looked a much better environment. After all, Mr Stringfellow chose the location to build an upmarket club to bring 'London style and class' to Sheffield, and if one was serving chicken in the basket and scampi in the food section in 1969, it must have been a bit better than the fish and greasy chip type area it is now. On the basis I must conclude the market area was an up and coming and fashionable city centre area in the 60's.

The place on High St was just below where Cavells bar is today and just above Pizza Hut. Sorry can't remember the name.

Originally posted by extaxman

The place on High St was just below where Cavells bar is today and just above Pizza Hut. Sorry can't remember the name.

Was it called DOWN BROADWAY?

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Was it called DOWN BROADWAY?

Yes it was, it was a coffee bar. I think I saw "The Shape of the Rain" play there and wasn,t Ray Stuart a DJ there are or am I mixing it up with the Crazy Daisy.

I think "Yes" played there in there early days or it could all be a dream. :)

The clubs around that time were the "ARK" at walkley and "Highway 61" but I can't remember where that was, Heeley maybe.

Memory is not as good as it once was, too many brain cells chemicaly removed around that time. ;)

The ARK at Walkley? Where was that exactly? I know Walkley very well but not heard of that place before.

The band YES played at the Penthouse in 1969.....don't know if they played other Sheffield gigs at that time.