Peter Stringfellow and Sheffield

Unfortunately, I m old enough to remember the Penthouse. Does anyone remember the giant bouncer who used to work there? I was pretty young at the time but remember a couple of characters in particular from about 1973. There was the Bowie look alike and the cool dude with short fur jacket and beetle crushers who always did the Roxy Music dance. You know down on one knee? Then there was the old couple, man and woman, probably in their seventies who used to come in and dance. The long staicase up and then down, bit tricky it was. Pete Stubbs had a burger stall outside. Then the walk home back to Page Hall with Mailey, then up for school the next day!! Having said that I always prefered the Crazy Daisy.

Suprised to see no one has mentioned The Black Cat . Do not

remember much about it so can anyone else.

I think the BLACK CAT was in the old church hall on Johnson St just off Nursery St.

I think the BLACK CAT was in the old church hall on Johnson St just off Nursery St.

That was the Blue Moon, in an old warehouse off Nursery Street. The Black Cat was in St Aidan's Church Hall off City Road.

yes I stand corrected,you are right.Its my age you know.

Hi

If anyone wants a copy of the book, 'King Of Clubs' by Peter Stringfellow there is a couple of copies for sale on Abe Books.com today, Saturday 3rd March

Hope this helps.

Happy Days!

Sheffielder

Sorry, try Abebooks.com

Happy Days!

Sheffielder

Here you go, I've printed the page off for you

(9.53pm Mon 5th March NZ Time) Happy Days!

From Abebooks.com

2 Results (Displaying results 1 - 2)

Sort Results By:

1. Publisher Photo King of Clubs: The Autobiography of Peter Stringfellow (ISBN: 0316879339)

STRINGFELLOW, Peter, with Fiona Lafferty

Bookseller: Trafford Books

(Manchester, ., United Kingdom) Price: US$ 50.05

[Convert Currency]

Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom:

US$ 6.51

[Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

Book Description: Little Brown & Co., 1996. tall octavo, h/b in fine d/j; gift inscription; 342pp + 40 plates. Shipping enquiries to george@traffordbooks.fsnet.co.uk. Bookseller Inventory # 8704

[bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask Bookseller a Question]

2. Publisher Photo King of Clubs (ISBN: 0316879339)

Stringfellow, Peter

Bookseller: Lakeland Sunrise Books

(Seascale, ., United Kingdom) Price: US$ 200.19

[Convert Currency]

Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom:

US$ 4.35

[Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

Book Description: Hardcover. Book Condition: Used; Very Good. Fast delivery. Tight pages. Solid, clean condition. Very rare in this condition. In stock and ready to ship, now, from Cumbria, England. Bookseller Inventory # p65king

[bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask Bookseller a Question]

2 Results (Displaying results 1 - 2) Page: [1]

I highly recommend the book.I don't usually read ghost-written autobiographies as the ones that I HAVE read were heavily sanitised but Peter S is refreshingly honest.He's quite forthcoming about his criminal record and the short prison sentence he served in the early 60s, and also how he built up his businesses through BS and bank loans.Incidentally,I read earlier in this thread that the Stringfellow Bros.had put up the money for the Esquire club.No bloody way.For one thing they didn't have any money in the 60s, and for another Terry Thornton was a bitter rival.Peter has definitely got some of his facts wrong though..The singer he refers to as Danny Rivers was,in fact,Danny Williams who had a hit with 'Moon River'.I'm sure that Rod Stewart never appeared at the Black Cat or Blue Moon and Heeley was never an upscale area of Sheffield.Anyway,get the book.Pay over the odds if you have to but get it.It's worth it.

He was born in Marshall Street, Pitsmoor. The family later moved to Gleadless Valley. They lived on Constable Road and other addresses on the estate.

If you can track it down, his autobiography King Of Clubs is worth a read (despite the spelling mistakes) and will give you all the background info you need. It was published by Warner Books in 1996

the Stringfellow family lived at the bottom end of Abbeyfield rd in the 50ties

I highly recommend the book.

Does he mention any of us? :hihi: