Vets Now - Prices stopping people using vets?

our vets still do 24/7 service. ABBEY VET GROUP. granted you need to go to their main surgery in dodworth out of hours, but not far for us. think they do call outs too for emergencies

We use Abbey as well. I believe there call out fee is £50.00.

Louise

They do have apointments as I've used it twice. I suppose it's possible that they may have a free for all time as well but I'm not aware of it, still it'll give me another question to ask next time I have to go there although hopefully that wont be till July next year when Max goes for his booster jabs.

I do much prefer an appointments system so that is good news.

WallBuilder, thankyou for posting all the info :)

Hi, I just thought I would add my thoughts to some of the above messages. I am one of the vets at Peak Vets in Woodseats, and we still provide an onsite emergency service for our clients and their pets. As far as I am aware, there are only 2 vets in Sheffield that still do, as everyone else now uses the emergency vets based at the PDSA. We are definitely going to continue doing it ourselves, as we feel it is better for pets, as we have all their records and test results, as well as the fact that we know our pets personally and so can understand their long term problems better than an emergency vet who has never seen your pet. I also think it can be stressfull trying to find a new vet practice in the middle of the night when you have an emergency and feel really panicky about your pet. So we will continue to do all our own emergency work (We also have a vet or nurse who lives on site 24 hrs a day).

All our surgeries are appointment based so that you don't have to wait for ages, although if you do have an emergency we always squeeze you in :)

We are also open 7 days a week and until 9 pm on weekdays.:thumbsup:

Good for you Rosiedog. You are right about the out of hours vet being a stressful (and very expensive) experience. I wish there were more like your practice about.:clap:

Well done to you Rosiedog, it would do all the vets good,

to read these posts, and take a leaf out of your book,

your sentiments are what I thought all vets were about, to be caring and concerned for the animals welfare.

They charge enough so I am sure they can all afford to take it in turns to do emergency cover, my experiences at using the pdsa emargency clinic,

have all been realy expensive and not that good,

Just wished you were closer to me even after 20 years with my vet, I would change to you, To be able to have someone who knows my animals,and is genuinely concerned for them and be able to rely on them in an emergency is I'm sure what we all ask.

my vets at chesterfield (spires)do out of hours appointments/emergencies and the last time i had to call them up at 1am it only cost me a bout a tenner which i thought was excellent and because i didnt have the money on me at the time they just told me to pay it whenever i could.cant complain at all:thumbsup:

I used to use this vets when I lived in NE Derbyshire. They were always reasonably priced. No complaints. Its just too far now though.

When I had to use the out of hours Vet Now, it cost £160 - which included a fee of £10 a staple. Wouldn't mind but one staple wasn't even in right and fell out within 20 minutes of being home and one fell out the next day. I ended up paying out again, as she was booked into have it stitched up by my usual vets.

One of the questions I asked when finding out about suitable vets was what the out of hours provision was and also what happens if my dog needed to stay over night. One of them told me that my dog would be transported by taxi (at my cost) to the vets now to be looked after and then brought back in the morning (again at my cost). Not quite the care I would expect for overnight.

Our clients use Peak vets and have very positive experiences. We alos have a blindish cat and they have been fantastic with her.

Waggy Tails recomends Peak vets

Hunters Bar vets provide an onsite emergency call out to. The call out fee is £50 and they will do a phone consultation with you to assertain the necessity and urgency of your situation.

For example:

When scout broke her leg they ran through the possiblilites of fractures, bruising and spinal damage before recomending that she be kept in a small warm box to minimise movement and taken in the following morning where my £50 could pay for an xray rather than a call out fee (this was not laziness on the vets behalf as she was already at the practice on another call). If I had taken scout to the vets all they could have done was give her painkillers until the morning.

This is what i mean by offering objective and practical advice. I have always had A* service with them.

Edit: If you are a rabbit owner I cant recommend seing Anita strongly enough. She is brilliant with them and can offer lots of practical advice. I know there are other bunny owners on here who can back me up on this. ;)

Can I just add my recommendation for PEAK VETS. :thumbsup:

I`d been with my previous vet for over 10 years and reluctantly since moving house I decided that the 45 mins to an hour to reach him really wasn`t practical especially in rush hour.

Peak Vets had been recommended to me and I went last night with my 2 dogs. One had her injections and the other went for a look around and a good old sniff about the place!!

The vet we saw made a massive fuss of both of my dogs and gave the one having an injection a through check up.

I was very impressed with the fact that I didn’t feel hurried at all when I was in there and the place appeared spotlessly clean with a very large waiting area. There`s also plenty of parking outside.

AND they still offer out of hours emergency cover which was a big plus for me :thumbsup:

being open 'til 9pm on weekdays covers most emergency times for other vets anyway

getting tempted to put up with the travelling when Mr Jarvis leaves Springfield :(