Vets Now - Prices stopping people using vets?

What an awful experience...

we used this service last week. overall it wasn't too bad but I had to wait just under 2 hours to be seen because one of the vets didn't turn up. when it was time to collect her they told me to call at 8pm, which I did but again there was no vet let me know how she was and if she could come home so I had to wait untill 9.30pm untill we could have her back. los of waiting around!!!! Also I couldn't believe how expensive it was. £109 for a consultation!!!! way more than my normal vet...

It is such a shame that it went the way it did for you. you should complain...I would.

hi all.

just to let you know that highfield vets will be opening on sundays soon.

thank you for your interest. i spoke to the manager for crook,s who said when he had spoken to the vet, he (the vet) said he thought everything went well!

i have made a complaint to the veterinary board and i will post the details when they reply.

again, i thank you for you interest.

I have used crookes for years just out of interest who was the vet, but you did right to complain, the partners down there are very good

I have used A Crooks at Hackenthorpe for 14 years and never had a problem with them. They were always more than friendly. There were a foreign woman that worked there who was absolutely great. I have been recently and I don't think she works there anymore :(

She was really good with the animals and she never charged the consultation fee.

I remember taking Daisy 2 days after she had the pups, she was in a really bad way with her back end. She shaved her all down and made sure she was really clean. She checked Daisy and all the pups out. She really did take some time on her. She gave her an antibiotic injection aswell and the bill came to £20 at the most.

The new vet doesn't seem as friendly and she doesn't really explain anything to you. Both times I went in the past few weeks we ended up having her.

A couple of weeks ago I took one of the pups because I thought he was having problems going to the toilet and ended up costing me £40 for being in there literally 2 minutes.

Then a week after that I took Daisy and she had 2 injections which cost £5 each and the bill were £40 again for 2 minutes.

I am not complaining about the price as obviously if you love your animals you pay it. But the foreign woman was really really good at her job and has never charged that much for being in there a few moments.

I think some vets do it purely for money and some do it purely because they love the animals. Just the difference in personalities.

I have used crookes for years just out of interest who was the vet, but you did right to complain, the partners down there are very good

i will not name the vet.

thank you for your interest.

I phoned crook,s and asked for a receipt as i had paid £130 when the vet called. Two days later my wife opened a letter from crook,s and started crying. I looked at the letter and instead of a receipt, it was a bill for £130!

I phoned crook,s and spoke to the manager. I suggested she look on this forum and read some of the post,s. She said she was not in the habit of going on the web and disparaging someone,s name. I did not name the vet involved. I assume this manager would be quite happy to read positive remarks about this company. I did speak to the manager from sheffield, and he seemed to understand my concerns.

Again , i thank you for your interest

Arncliffe at wath are excellent, went in saturday without even calling ahead to have a twisted nail removed and the vet who had finished saw her, spent ten minutes chatting about our dog as had a few dietry questions and it only cost £14 with bathing medication. They charged £40 for initial puppy injections and worming tablet. Hours are good too, do however use vets now for out of hours,

http://www.arncliffevets.co.uk/

I have used Vets Now a few times with mixed results. Firstly I am more than happy with my small animal vet but he is a one man band with a family and I understand that he does need a life, hence using Vets Now for emergency cover. I first used them for a bitch that was post whelping and had got an infection.....£170 for 20 mins work but it was needed and I wasn`t prepared to wait. The second time I used them was with the same bitch a couple of years later. She had been mostly fine all week but alittle off her food but active and bright. On the Sunday morning I wasn`t happy as she had ballooned up so off I went to Vets Now thinking it was probably a pyometra and she needed seeing there and then. I was very wrong...she had an xray and there was blood leaking into her stomach. I agreed for her to be operated on and they found pancreatic cancer that had spread to her liver. I didnt let them wake her and we brought her home to lay her to rest with all our other loved ones. I was devasted and the vet and nurses were lovely. I know that nothing could have been done and lets face it we pay anything for our babies but that day I paid £790 for 2 hours work. No after care as we were bringing home a body. As time went on I did feel angry about the cost especially when my vet said if it had been him that had operated it would have been about £300.

I now hedge my bets as it were....I use a vet for kitten vaccinations that offer me a good discount as a breeder and they do offer an out of hours service. As I am registered with them I know I can call upon them in an emergency. Also after losing that bitch my original vet who I trust 100% has given me his mobile number to call if I need him which I did recently regarding a kitten and as always the service was amazing and the cost was £90......if I had gone to Vets Now the cost would have been at least £250 ++++

Also I was told by my equine vet that most of the Vets Now vets were moonlighting and money was their motivation.....as he is well respected with over 40 years as a vet I can only assume this to be true. So I would try to avoid Vets Now if at all possible and to be honest the few times I have encounted the PDSA vets through friends I think they have been found wanting.....however I know that the PDSA is much needed and a life line to alot of people.

Edited by Binga