Recommend a quiet pub for a social drink

I was thinking about the Union as well. If it's still there, possibly try the Priory Hotel along Montgomery Road. It was always quiet years ago when I lived at Nether Edge. I've not been in for years though.

a quiet pub where you can hold a conversation and enjoy an evening with friends ... does such a thing exist anymore ... not in my experience :(

If you find one, please tell the rest of us.

Not at your end of the city Ruby, but the Hillsborough Hotel has all you would want from a pub. Also has all that I want too, as in great choice of real ales, weiss bier, which I'm hooked on, and also very close to a bus stop to get me home!

the sheaf view is a real friendly pub, with no music whatsoever and a great range of beers and lagers. its also walking distance from nether edge

The Dam House

Why not give it a rest with this place? Every other post you submit you plug the place! What's up?, is Carlton THAT short of money?

Got to suggest getting yourself into town and into the Devonshire Cat myself. I use it when I want to take my friends or customers for a quiet drink and know we're going to get a table in a quiet-ish place with loads of choice. Sure, the bar staff aren't going to make any special effort to 'get to know you' and the soap in the bathroom has gone downhill in the last six months (used to smell of almonds, I kid you not - just small things like that made it feel like Cheers - "Where everybody knows your name" - my old haunt) which must be cost-cutting going crazy - isn't everywhere?

Anyway... the Dev. Cat on Wellington Street... might seem to be in student land, but that's not necessarily true. At least it's away from the rather too loud hustle and bustle of West Street or even Division Street.

By the way, there is always music on - but it's generally very quiet. There is a very small TV in the far corner - you don't see it if you don't want to - it's not a sports pub. Also has the strongest beer in the world which you can ask for from the 'menu'... I'd not do that again myself, but there you go...

the sheaf view is a real friendly pub, with no music whatsoever and a great range of beers and lagers. its also walking distance from nether edge

I agree, quality little pub.

The `Bridge Inn`, belting little boozer.

Hi everyone, I hope everyone has the Christmas they want and all the best for the new year.

I live in S11 Nether Edge and just wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations of a suitable pub in the area, where you can go for a quiet, social drink and/or a meal without loud music or the sports channel playing in the background. Ideally, if it is in walking distance, all the better. Having said that, open to suggestions within reasonable driving distance. Thanks.

The Union in Nether-edge meets your needs to an absolute tee, and walking distance to boot!

The Three Merry lads at Lodge moor is a lovely quite relaxing country pub which serves food, And the Highcliffe at Greystones is also a quality pub, this does not serve food though.