The law and car seatbelts

:help:Anybody know the law about not wearing seatbelts

Can you report somebody for it?

Clearly the law is that you should be wearing the seat belt. I'd imagine that you could report it like any other crime.

However, I see this one (like the law does) as being the car driver's responsibility. Since people in my car wear their seat belts, I tend not to be too concerned about what happens in other people's. Especially since it will be their own stupid fault if they go flying through their windscreen.

You could report it, but it would be your word against theirs unless you had some more evidence. And even then, they'd probably just get a visit at the most and told to make sure they wear it in the future.

You could report it, but it would be your word against theirs unless you had some more evidence.

...but why would you want to??

I suspect that the police officer has to see them without the belt or have cctv of them without it for a prosecution to take place

Clearly the law is that you should be wearing the seat belt. I'd imagine that you could report it like any other crime.

However, I see this one (like the law does) as being the car driver's responsibility.

Anyone over the age of 14 is responsible for putting their own seatbelt on.

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advice/seatbelts.htm

Any sensible driver wouldn't drive off without all necessary seatbelts fastened though, particularly since anyone in the back seat poses a danger to those in the front.

...but why would you want to??

Because he actually has some vague sense of moral public duty?

I know it's increasingly uncommon nowadays, but it still turns up occasionally.

Because he actually has some vague sense of moral public duty?

I know it's increasingly uncommon nowadays, but it still turns up occasionally.

I dont think you read the OP's orginal post, which posed the question 'can you report somone for wearing a seatbelt' the post was subsequentely changed by a moderator.

Incidentally, I don't think it's an issue of public morality, provided people ensure their passengers are able to wear seat belts and children are safely buckled in, why is it anyone else's business whether someone is wearing a seatbelt or not?

Any sensible driver wouldn't drive off without all necessary seatbelts fastened though, particularly since anyone in the back seat poses a danger to those in the front.

I agree, and I'd never drive anyone anywhere unless they were wearing a belt. I was merely correcting the statement that in the eyes of the law, the driver is held accountable - and they're not if the occupant is over the age of 14.

, why is it anyone else's business whether someone is wearing a seatbelt or not?

why is it anyones business if people commit any type of crime?.