Anyone got a PSP? Would you recommend one?

Hi people,

Tomorrow Im thinking of going out and buying myself a Sony PSP as a treat but dont really know. I Just wanted to know

Does anyone else have one?

How much memory etc they have?

How long the battery last?

Anything else I should know?

Its basically a portable PS2. Very good battery life (upto about 7 hours) which is rechargable, very clear screen. You can get movies on it but it reduces the battery life to around 3.5 hours for some reason.

The bad points about them are the early ones were constantly breaking down and because of this, Sony will want you to send it back to them if yours craps up which they will probably replace with a reconditioned one (after the 1st 28 days of reciept) but this goes for the main consoles too which isn't good in my eyes. Who wants a second hand machine when you have paid for a brand new one? Bah!

Go for it though, they are great!

yes they're great, I had the old fat one (sold that) now I've got the slim one.

Get Wipeout Pulse; fantastic game. Good idea to have at least a 1GB memory card with it.

what do you want it for? how old are you? to me, there are better games and options available for the DS for the older player (20+) however the PSP is a nice system.

I've got both a PSP and a DS, and I play the PSP far more. It really depends what type of game you like for them. I find the PSP's games suit me better than the DS.

PSP = overpriced, overrated brick with no good games.

And no, that is not anti-Sonyness talking, I've actually played one.

with no good games.

This simply isn't true. How did you come to that conclusion? Take a look at GTA Vice City Stories, Wipeout Pure + Pulse for a start.

I'd go with what the others have said (well the intelligent ones anyway) it really depends what kind of games you like. Both the DS and PSP are great systems with excellent games available for both, but markedly different in the type of games available for them. I'm pretty happy with my PSP but there are plenty of games on DS I'd like to have too.

Well I was looking at games like Driver, Grand Theft Auto etc

Im 21 and want to treat myself for been a good boy this year :D

Had a psp for a long time now and I love it. I have quite a few games but stick with Grand theft auto even though I completed it a long time ago, I now just like to add the cheats and do my own thing.

The only drawback I can think of is the little directional button on the bottom left corner of the machine- you need to constantly take it out to clean it because it soon gets gunked up from having a thumb pressed on it all the time. Other than that, its a brilliant little machine.

Me and my son have a psp, for a few reasons, one because it will be good to watch films and listen to music while out, but, nice to have a play on it while out and about.

And, with both of us having one, we will be able to play games together and once I have a ps3 we can both stream music, videos and download games to our psp's.

So, well worth it.

I've got both DS and PSP and if I had the chance over wouldn't buy a PSP, but that's just because I am much more into the kind of games that port much better to a touch-screen facility (puzzle games, etc.)

The way I see it, somewhat stereotypically, is the PSP is a "lads" console; everytime I go into games shops I don't even bother browsing the PSP section anymore because there just seem to be reams of sports/war/FPS games and very little in the way of light-RPG options (I'd love a decent port of Final Fantasy VII or something).

Also the insane loading times for some games really put me off (though I understand with the Slim + Lite this has been addressed) - The Sims 2 was literally a game of loading screens interspersed with a few movement options.

That said, if you're big on the techy-geeky side, I know people who've used a popular hacking program to be able to play PSOne games as well as emulate N64, Mega Drive, etc. games and swear by it. If I had the perseverence (and confidence to invalidate the warranty) then it'd probably be a very different story.