Mo Laycock Applauds Blasphemy and Swearing at Firth Park College Student Night

Mo Laycock Applauds Blasphemy and Swearing at Firth Park College Student Night.

Tonight was the chance for parents to pay and watch the Performing Arts College 'Student Showcase'.

This contained lots of singing,dancing and comedy routines by pupils of various ages, and the obligatory African drumming spot. Nothing wrong there.

But what about all the 'Jesus Christ' and used in one of the acting routines. Not to mention the kids on stage effing and bstrding it!

But it's ok though because the audiance was warned before the show, (3 and a half hours long!) that there was some 'bad' language.

Although I had a Christian up-bringing I do not practice this. But this sure as heck felt uncomfortable especially with a mixed audiance with a few grans and grandads in.

Right now here's my point...

What would the reaction have been if the actors kept refering to Allah or Buddah or any other religious iconic symbol of a faith?

And the Head of the School, Mrs Mo Laycock, stood and applauded at the end.

So what's happening to Christian religious morals and principles, or in fact for any other religion for that matter, are the 10 commandments no longer covered in Religious Education?

3 - Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

And although most kids swear in the school yard I don't see it as the right time nor place to be using the offensive language in front of a family audiance with young children and grandparents. And the Head of the school applauded it!

It's an interesting point; I have to say that despite my beliefs I'm occasionally known to utter a 'Jesus Christ' or 'Oh God'. I'm not proud of it and I should controlit, but it's usually 'in extremis'.

For us in the UK, there isn't an equivalent of 'Jesus Christ' because that's the principal religion. Saying 'Oh Buddha' wouldn't have the same effect, for example.

I can understand your concern but I think that it's important to bear these things in context; strong language is part and parcel of most drama we see on TV, whether that's appropriate or not is another question.

How old were the students, btw?

I think the difference is, as Joe pointed out, even christians are known to say the odd 'Jesus Christ' when they stub their toe. In some other religions it is taken a lot more seriously, so yes, probably there would have been more outcry.

On a similar subject, when I read a few weeks ago about about the Pinter poem being offensive to Christians and was not going to be put up... I couldn't help but wonder what the outcry would have been like if the council had so readily given in to another faith.

So what's happening to Christian religious morals and principles, or in fact for any other religion for that matter, are the 10 commandments no longer covered in Religious Education?

Pity there wasn't a commandment "Thou shalt not shop at Tesco's or use their logo as your avatar".

For my sins I kinda covet the neighbours ass - she is well fit - I don't kill / steal etc - but nowt to do with religion - it is possible to respect your fellow humans without any religious belief.

Yes, they're still taught in Religious Education. Thankfully, that's where they stay, because they have no place being inflicted on a secular society that decides on its laws for itself.

complete crap argument swearing is everywhere its common knowledge so get used to it

my daughter was in the performance last night my wife took my other daughter to watch the with their grand parent and they were not impressed with the amount of swearing through out the performance its my daughters first year at firth park "year 7" and was performing with year 11 children these maybe used to that level of fowl language but my daughters year was not......

What type of example are they setting for children no wonder the world seems to accept it as "the norm"

my daughter was in the performance last night my wife took my other daughter to watch the with their grand parent and they were not impressed with the amount of swearing through out the performance its my daughters first year at firth park "year 7" and was performing with year 11 children these maybe used to that level of fowl language but my daughters year was not......

What type of example are they setting for children no wonder the world seems to except it as "the norm"

Well said Shefflad - I agree that it has become more and more part of society but at what age do you find it acceptable?

There's a time and place for everything and this wasn't it!

complete crap argument swearing is everywhere its common knowledge so get used to it

Are there so many Daniel Radcliffe related usernames already registered on here that you had to settle for that one???

this is exactly the attitude of the world today

Why should we get used to it

It's an interesting point; I have to say that despite my beliefs I'm occasionally known to utter a 'Jesus Christ' or 'Oh God'. I'm not proud of it and I should controlit, but it's usually 'in extremis'.

For us in the UK, there isn't an equivalent of 'Jesus Christ' because that's the principal religion. Saying 'Oh Buddha' wouldn't have the same effect, for example.

I can understand your concern but I think that it's important to bear these things in context; strong language is part and parcel of most drama we see on TV, whether that's appropriate or not is another question.

How old were the students, btw?

they age from 11 to 16

A few exclamations of Damn and Jesus are quite mild - and as Richard Dawkins said, blasphemy is a victimless crime - though I wonder if a Christmas show is the right place for it? But I think effing and jeffing is inappropriate for a school performance. My own school was well known for its lavish Christmas shows and the kids created most of the show themselves but this didn't give them an excuse to swear. It's probably that whole "being down with ver kids" thing.