Knocked off bike today - thank you to those who checked on me

Just come across this one. Glad the OP escaped serious harm and pleased that there were folks about to offer assistance. I've ended up on the deck before near a tramstop and I know precisely how horrid it is when everyone pretends to look the other way.

Top marks to that busdriver!

I agree. When I came off a bus driver (going the other way) stopped to ask if I was ok/needed an ambulance. Well it might have been a tram driver, I was a bit dazed :) but the principle applies!!

There are some good people out there.

Just before the tram platform the road surface to the left of the tram tracks disappears. At the same time the pedestrian crossing island narrows the right side. As I was passing through this narrow section I saw the front of the car alongside me and thought "this is going to be closer than usual, the guy must be a real idiot". Next thing I knew the wingmirror hit me and knocked me off balance, in recovering my balance I fell onto the car if that makes sense and bike and I slid down it to the floor as the car passed. Probably a softer landing than if I'd fallen the other way and smacked headfirst into the concrete tram platform, but not pleasant.

Think I'll get my bike in for checking/service tomorrow and I'll carefully read what the policeman wants me to sign this evening.

Yep, the driver sounds like a real idiot.

I hang well back when going through the narrowed tram stop area behind a cyclist, trying to overtake there is just stupid. It takes 10 seconds to wait and then overtake when there's space once past the stop.

Don’t you think this thread demonstrates the forum at its absolute best?

In the space of five hours the OP has received offers of help in rebuilding his bike, many sympathetic comments, a witness pops up (MkII) so the OP can thank him, then, bu**er me, the driver of the bus behind appears with advice and explains it could well be on tape!

Not forgetting the humorous comments, a smile always helps.

You wouldn’t find this just talking about it in the local, would you? I don't know where else this level of interaction exists. Well done forum!

I’d also just like to add my sympathies to hotphil and hope he and his bike are not too damaged.

Just a suggestion, but why not invite the policeman who’s calling to view this thread, so the police can see the kind of negative publicity their usual inaction generates. Surely a "failure to stop" here at least?

It's because of idiots like him that loads of cyclist/car user bashing threads pop up.

Makes you wonder what it would take for idiots like this to stop after an accident.

I know this as I was the driver of the bus and saw the whole incident,PM me if you require the fleet number of the vehicle in the chance that the footage may be recovered.

The driver of the car was more than aware of what he had done as he left the scene at some speed,I accelorated up the road to try and get the details but he just put his foot down,,,lukily though it seems you manged to get the details.

You sound like a nice bus driver. Can you please drive the bus i get on.

Just before the tram platform the road surface to the left of the tram tracks disappears. At the same time the pedestrian crossing island narrows the right side. As I was passing through this narrow section I saw the front of the car alongside me and thought "this is going to be closer than usual, the guy must be a real idiot". Next thing I knew the wingmirror hit me and knocked me off balance, in recovering my balance I fell onto the car if that makes sense and bike and I slid down it to the floor as the car passed. Probably a softer landing than if I'd fallen the other way and smacked headfirst into the concrete tram platform, but not pleasant.

Think I'll get my bike in for checking/service tomorrow and I'll carefully read what the policeman wants me to sign this evening.

bizarrely I had the same incident on the shalemoor roundabout when it was getting built at the end of Penistone Road. I got clipped by a car, bounced off the barrier and rebounded off his car. Luckily I didn't come off but the bus behind me stopped in time and made sure I was ok. I got straight back on my bike and caught the idiot at the lights before its hits the hill and gave him an evil stare through the window which he wound down and apologised for running into me.

I hope your ok hotphil and this doesn't put you off cycling.

For those wondering why a driver wouldn't stop in such circumstances I have one word: breathalyser. I bet he/she wouldn't want to risk a policeman happening on the scene with one of those.

For those wondering why a driver wouldn't stop in such circumstances I have one word: breathalyser. I bet he/she wouldn't want to risk a policeman happening on the scene with one of those.

Could have been many reasons. Maybe he's just a coward who doesn't want to face up to the consequences of his bad driving. He clearly doesn't understand the responsibility that was bestowed upon him when he got his drivers license, so he should be relieved of it. Failing to stop at an accident that is your fault is never acceptable.

It's your responsibility as a human being to stop. There is absolutely nothing the driver could say to convince me that he had a valid reason for not stopping.

Could have been many reasons. Maybe he's just a coward who doesn't want to face up to the consequences of his bad driving. He clearly doesn't understand the responsibility that was bestowed upon him when he got his drivers license, so he should be relieved of it. Failing to stop at an accident that is your fault is never acceptable.

It's your responsibility as a human being to stop. There is absolutely nothing the driver could say to convince me that he had a valid reason for not stopping.

could also be a guywith no lisence and no insurance

What alarmed me about this was the fact it was actualy fortunate that it was a bus behind and not a tram as the outcome could have been a lot worse.

Even the bus skipped a few feet on the wet tram tracks before coming to a stop but thankfully the incident was seen in time to take corrective action.

Glad to hear you're ok! what sort of idiot overtakes on a narrow section of road?!

Hundreds of them, sadly. You know when you get a traffic island in the middle of the road which narrows the lane? I've lost track of the number of motorists who've tried to overtake me at those points. When I commuted by cycle in London, I ended up pulling into the middle of the lane when coming up to one of those, as I got fed up with a near-miss every time.

Very glad the OP is ok - that's 8 lives left, pal!

Well the good news is that my shoulders feel a lot better today and that I now know the driver of the car also reported the collision to the police. It's up to the police what action, if any, is taken now. Hopefully the driver will at least consider driving with a little more sense as to the fact that cyclists aren't stationary objects and need more room than he/she previously thought.