St John's School. Anyone know anything about it?

Hi Michelle,yes ,it's a great site and I've had a lot of memories come flooding back looking through some of the topics. It's like reading your own biography sometimes. Things like ,what you did in your childhood ,schoolyears, people you remember in town,pubs,clubs,discoes, bands you,ve seen,work even, brought back some good memories.Thanks for the offer of travel tips, but we are pretty much sorted , it's a hectic day/ lazy day trip this time. Some friends of ours were there last year when one of the hurrcanes hit and ended their holiday in Boston!! However, every time we've been in the past, we have only experienced the daily sort of downpours and electric storms,(touch wood) but having said that we did stop going to Cocoa Beach because it was always raining all day whenever we got there! regards Celia

Originally posted by celiasuud

I attended St.Johns school on Cricket Inn Road in the 50's, as did my mum in the 30's. It was situated where there are now tramtracks,roughly opposite the working mens club but a little further on away from town. The back of the school was on what was Aston Street. I left in 1962,the Headmistress was Miss De La Haye who I think died only recently. It was a 3 story Victorian building and classes were taught (if I remember rightly) 2 years together and a good job the teachers did then!. I'm sorry I don,t remember when it was demolished. Another school was on School Street which ran between Duke Street and Bard Street. I can never remember whether this was also a St Johns school or was just known as Bard St.School.However we always attended St.Johns Church together with another school from around that area every time there was a religious event or festival. regards Celia

st johns was on school st and bard st,went there from 1953 then on to norfolk school :)

I attended St Johns in School street from 1963 to 1968,in 1968 the school closed and moved to a new building on Manor Oaks road.We did merge with another school,I was in the new school for just one year before moving onto Norfolk school on cradock road.My first teacher (at age 5)was a Miss Vaugne (not sure of the spelling),it was her last year before retiring.Then there was a Mrs Wilde followed by Miss Dodsworth.I also remember the headmaster Mr Martin and the reading ability tests in his office.The caretaker was a Mr Ashmore.The old StJohns (in School street was a L shaped building with 2 playgrounds on different levels (the school was built on a hill),the higher larger playground also contained the main enterance gate and the boys toilets.

I think we must have been there at the same time !!!!

I remember being at the old school on Cricket Inn Road , with its three floors - headmaster Mr Robinson , and can remember the hall being on the top floor , and also the shop on the corner and chippy the other way !

I also then went up to the new St Johns , and thought it was amazing , all brand new and futuristic looking , complete with a great adventure playground !

Other things i remember while there was watching the moon landing on the Television in the hall , and hearing the massive Effingham Rd gas blast , when all the school windows shook .

The "houses" - Saturn (red), Jupiter(green) , Venus (yellow), Mercury(blue)

Teachers i can remember are ...Mr Martin(head), Mr Stubbs ,Mr Grant, Mr Jackson (ken), Miss Dodsworth (dept head), Miss Bainbridge. The care taker while i was there was Mr Clark , whose daughter Ruth, was in my class.

Can you also remember Mr Everest ,the St John's Church vicar whose house (vicarage)was also on site between the school and greyhound track? .... - oh ,and did you know Miss Dodsworth eventually married Mr Martin !!!! (after i had left in 74)

I remember the move from Bard St to Manor Oaks Road because my dad Harold Everest (died two years ago) persuaded the school governors to amalgamage the two schools (Cricket Inn Road and School St). I remember Doug Martin and Jean Dodsworth. When the school closed a couple of years ago I went in place of my dad who was too ill. It was SCARY and I still felt like I was in trouble. Colin and I got shovelled off elsewhere instead of Hurlfield or Norfolk so I lost touch with nearly everybody. But I am still around and so I see is St Johns Church. Nice one Dad !

would have been a good story but miss dodsworth and mr martim didn't get married - i think mrs martin would've had something to say about that! mr martin moved to norfolk (or somewhere around there) and died quite a while ago. miss dodsworth died either last year or the year before. i used to see her occassionally (at the hairdressers!) and i couldn't bring myself to call her Jean. i went to st john's 1971-1977

I attended st johns school school st park dist sheffield 2 1942 until 1952 can anyone my name was janet scholefield can anyone remember pauline delgiovine or any one else

I attended Park school near Duke street but it was from approx. 1959 to 1968 which are different to your dates but seem to remember your surname!

Would you have a daughter or a sister by the name of Pat?

Sorry but somehow I mixed the school names in error! Correction to my last post as I attended St Johns on Bard St. I also remember Mrs Wilde and the caretaker Mr Ashmore. I think the assembly room was on the ground floor and not on the 1st floor as someone mentioned in an earlier post. I was the unfortunate child whose German parent insisted I wear traditional short leather trousers - So if anyone out there has any memory of myself I would love to hear from you. My nickname was whippet as apparently I was a fast runner.

I remember Pat quite well and recall she suffered a small car accident on Broad St which I witnessed and all she was worried about was that her mother would be angry for her loosing the milk she had just purchased. Is this the same Pat?

Mr Martin left St Johns the same year as me in 1985.

Its a shame it was pulled down, used to be a bloody good school