St John's School. Anyone know anything about it?

I'm looking for more info about St John's School, Park.

(Nr Hyde Park flats???)

Doe's anyone know where its exact location was?

- And when the school closed?

Thanx

Angel x

do you mean the "OLD" St John's School, in the Hyde Park district, or the more recent one, that my son went to, in the early/ mid 1980s?

there were two schools of that name, you see.

PT

Was on School Road between Duke Street & Bard Street in the Park district.

Closed in the early 70's.

I attended St.Johns school on Cricket Inn Road in the 50's, as did my mum in the 30's. It was situated where there are now tramtracks,roughly opposite the working mens club but a little further on away from town. The back of the school was on what was Aston Street. I left in 1962,the Headmistress was Miss De La Haye who I think died only recently. It was a 3 story Victorian building and classes were taught (if I remember rightly) 2 years together and a good job the teachers did then!. I'm sorry I don,t remember when it was demolished. Another school was on School Street which ran between Duke Street and Bard Street. I can never remember whether this was also a St Johns school or was just known as Bard St.School.However we always attended St.Johns Church together with another school from around that area every time there was a religious event or festival. regards Celia

hi celiasuud

i attented the same school up until 60 then moved out of the area. i remember miss de la haye, mr robinson, mrs easton, miss armstrong and mrs forsyth.

Hi patchalan, I was taught by all those teachers,but I can't remember Mrs.Forsyth.I remember Mr.Robinson reading to us from The Jungle Book,Miss Armstong came from Bradwell and Mrs.Easton was an immaculatly dressed older lady with a daughter called "Bunty".Miss De La Haye lived at Crosspool and the memory I have is that she wore bright lipstick and smelled of perfume. What things to remember!! The assembly hall and the canteen were on the top floor and the toilets were outside,talking of which ,i once fell headfirst down the steps of the girls toilets ouch! Ah! the good old days eh! regards Celia

hi celia

do you remember, the party we had when princess margaret got married to anthony armstrong jones, lots of potted meat and jelly

Hi again,sorry don't remember that party,in fact the only other things I can remember are swimming lessons at Park Baths with ,I think ,a Mr.Bettison and playing Mary in the Nativity play one year,made very memorable because Miss De La Haye stuck a sraight pin in the side of my head securing the blue and white headress Ouch! There was a shop on the corner, maybe called something like "Bill's" ,where you could buy Black Jack's and Fruit Salad sweets and the like (farthings were still legal tender) . Just past the school was another shop which was the retail world,s answer to Miss Haversham's room in Great Expectations,or so it seemed to me , it was called Lucy's and her cats used to sleep in the windows on top of the goods,yuk! regards Celia.

HI celia

i can remember it as if it was yesterday,do these names ring a bell, mick stainton, denis hewitt, alan johnson, kieth powell,robert calaise, anne wilde, shiela chantrey, maureen platt,carol bingham, all our age

I attended St Johns from 1975-82. I remember walking to the Park Hill Baths, attending the St Johns Church on certain holidays. My older brother attended the old St Johns on Cricket Inn Road before they knocked it down. Is St John's still open, I haven't been home for over 5 years. I remember the Head Master was Mr Martin, he scared the hell out of me.

Remember reading from the reading chart on his desk as he stood behind you. I have a lot of fond memories from that school. I moved on to attend Hurlfield Comprehensive and then I moved to Florida.

Michelle

Hi Patchalan and Michelle, yes I remember most of those names,they were a year or maybe two above me.As for the schools being open, the one on Cricket Inn Road is long gone,not sure when and have no memory of it being there in 1976,when I got married at St.Johns church. Not sure if the other school is there now as there are some relatively new buildings around the area where it was and I only travel along Bernard Street in the car so can't really see anything. I moved on to Norfolk Secondary school before starting work in 1966.

Lucky you living in Florida,shall be coming there shortly after a 9 year abscence to see what's changed,don't like the weather forecast I've been reading though!! regards Celia

Hi Celia, Thanks for the reply. I was so happy to stumble on this website, it's great to read and remember how things use to be. Coming to Florida, the past week we have had nothing but rain 6 to 8 inches, but today it's blue sky and 90+++. Nothing can beat last year for weather, 4 hurricanes, 2 direct hits. Don't want to live through that again, made me want to move back to the UK. Michelle

If you want any travel ideas let me know, I love giving traving ideas to people, that's a perk of living here, knowing where to go and when.