Parkhill characters 80's

Park Lad

After Rolo my dad got the job of caretaking super for Hyde Park and Park hill, boy did he have some stories to tell. I used to go down there when I had free time and chat with the caretakers, interesting times that's for sure.

Can you share any of your dads stories wolfstalin, they could be interesting!

Here's a cracker, The Screaming Man.

There were lots of tunnels under the complex, some very old ones that connected up to the old nunnery pit, well all services ran though these tunnels including telephone lines, not just for the complex but for a lot of other things as well.

So there were always telephone engineers down there, and some of these guys were curious of where these old tunnels went.

One fine morning my dad roles up for work and the night shift guys told him they had a 'bad night' "the ghosts were at it again" and they weren't happy campers (ghosts are another story and I'll cover that when I have more time).

Anyways, curiosity aroused, dad goes down into the tunnels to have a look around and hop tails it back to the cabin when he hears this ere whaling sound. Now he didn't believe in anything, talk about show me type of guy, but none the less moaning and whaling down in the tunnels was not something he cared to investigate any further.

Well as time went on, some of the tenants complained about strange sounds coming up from their garbage shutes, but no one took any notice, you know how things go "poor old Dorris, she's hearing voices again"

A couple of days later Dad gets an inc from the management staff, they had someone from BT asking about an engineer who hadn't shown up for work for the last 3 days, yeah you got it, the whaling man.

Anyway course of events were Dad had a look round and found a BT van parked round back where the tunnel entrance was totally stripped, not even any wheels, but the van number was the same as the one the missing engineer drove. Turns out he became curious and then lost, his torch gave out after a few hours, then set in the whaling, LOL.

They brought in the mountain rescue people to get him out, a day later found him not in a very fit state at all, incohearant and totaly lost the plot, poor chap.

Yeah, Des was on the Hyde Park. The last time I saw him he was a bouncer at a Sheffield club - think it was Flares but can't swear to it. That was years ago though and I am sure that someone who I used to work with told me that he had sadly died :(

If it's true it's a shame because he was a great bloke - the kind who looked like he would quite happily rip your spleen out if you pee'd him off but he never failed to carry my nans shopping if he ever saw her bless him :)

Yeah, Des was on the Hyde Park. The last time I saw him he was a bouncer at a Sheffield club - think it was Flares but can't swear to it. That was years ago though and I am sure that someone who I used to work with told me that he had sadly died :(

If it's true it's a shame because he was a great bloke - the kind who looked like he would quite happily rip your spleen out if you pee'd him off but he never failed to carry my nans shopping if he ever saw her bless him :)

yes caronlel, your colleague was, sadly, correct, Des passed away about 2/3 years ago. (I can't remember exactly, but I remember reading his Obit)

I used to remember him shouting his order down to the shopkeepers place, below his flat (he lived directly over the shops, on the lowest level of Bungay Row IIRC) and I remember them coming to the front of the flower beds, and throwing the cigs or whatever up to him! (sometimes if it were a larger item, he's lower a bag/ basket)

that always used to tickle me when i saw it.

• 2 weeks later...