Health and Safety on the buses

The "standing/sitting numbers" notices are no longer displayed on First Buses.

Yes they are on all buses as it it a legal requirement

In an ideal world I would love to do this that is, wait until everyone is seated but that would mean a bus about once an hour LOL,

what most experienced drivers do is take each passenger as it comes if they are old wait until they are seated as old folk have brittle bones and are more prone to falling.

One MAJOR MENACE is this habit of standing up to alight before the bus comes to a standstill please just ring the bell in good time that's all thats needed First do ask this in notices on most vehicles and on their website.

Yeah, I meant for those who need it - I have seen a few old people stumble (but not fall thankfully) when the bus sets off.

I am guilty of getting up after ringing the bell but thats because I fear the driver would not stop or not stop long enough. Especially when I'm on he top deck. I've seen it done with prams - the poor parent is trying to straighten the pram when the driver asumes every one is off and goes...

Well if the cap fits! too many drivers are over loading their buses! is there not a health and safety issue?

So what is the standing and seating capacity of each vehicle?

Volvo B6

VolvoB10m

VolvoB10 BLE

Volvo B7

Volvo Gemini

Man Evo

Optare Solo

SPD

To name but a few,obviously you aware of the capacites to claim buses are been overloaded.

The "standing/sitting numbers" notices are no longer displayed on First Buses.

It is a legal requirement to display this information. These can sometimes be found in the driver cab, as it is meant for their attention.

It is a legal requirement to display this information. These can sometimes be found in the driver cab, as it is meant for their attention.[/QUOT

It as to be where the passanger can see it . otherwide on RMs and non omo buses it wouldnt be seen , cant remember exact wording of how the C&U regs have it

& how do they open the doors before stopping ....... they have some kind of auto lock on them ...... cannot open them whilst the bus is in motion .... with exception of 1 or 2 of the older uns .... but most of the moderner low floor busses nooooo way ..... no way whatsoever ..... falsehood untruth ... it is no possible !!!!

Bus is already stopped in traffic but well away from the stop so instead of waiting to get to the stop drivers open the doors there and then

So what is the standing and seating capacity of each vehicle?

Volvo B6

VolvoB10m

VolvoB10 BLE

Volvo B7

Volvo Gemini

Man Evo

Optare Solo

SPD

To name but a few,obviously you aware of the capacites to claim buses are been overloaded.

we would love to know as in one of my earlier posts I said I could not see any notice about the limits on First buses

Frankly I agree, I'd rather get on and have to sniff some chav's armpit than be late for work! Surely those who are saying they'd rather wait in the cold and rain for another 20 minutes are being a bit daft?

To the point of inconvenience, yes, we'd all rather get on. To the point of safety, no. I'd rather wait in the wind and cold than overcrowd a bus and get somebody killed should it crash.

The standing limits are not imposed just to give people space and comfort. There is a physical limit to how many can stand on a bus without risking some of them pushing others through the windscreen in the event of an accident.

EmilyM - you miss the point - be polite and kind at all times not just when there is plenty of space on the bus - basic manners dictate you take your turn not push in when you feel like it

Basic manners dictate that you just get on the damn bus and sit down, instead of faffing about trying to work out who should get on in what order and making everyone wait around until it's sorted.

There are very things that tick me off as much as having to wait even longer at bus stops because the women who were standing in front of me, and nearer to the bus, refuse to board it until after I do just because "I was there first." There's three of us, and sixty-eight seats to choose from! WHO THE HELL CARES WHO GOT THERE FIRST?!!

Basic manners dictate that you just get on the damn bus and sit down, instead of faffing about trying to work out who should get on in what order and making everyone wait around until it's sorted.

There are very things that tick me off as much as having to wait even longer at bus stops because the women who were standing in front of me, and nearer to the bus, refuse to board it until after I do just because "I was there first." There's three of us, and sixty-eight seats to choose from! WHO THE HELL CARES WHO GOT THERE FIRST?!!

Never waited for any bus yet where there's only three in the queue and an empty bus of however many seats... show me that one at 5pm on Arundel Gate

Frankly I agree, I'd rather get on and have to sniff some chav's armpit than be late for work! Surely those who are saying they'd rather wait in the cold and rain for another 20 minutes are being a bit daft? Yeah it would be best if there were more buses but there aren't so we have to do some human origami and cram on - and believe me, if you have a baby in a pram in this cold weather, you soon think of all kinds of ingenious ways you are going to damn well fit onto that bus ;)

It's often not the case though. When the buses are this full it's generally peak times when there are *usually* extra buses. If you wait for folks to pack themselves on like sardines there's usually a nice empty one not far behind.

Plus - what about the germs you likely to catch getting that up close and personal on an overcrowded bus:gag::gag:

Never waited for any bus yet where there's only three in the queue and an empty bus of however many seats... show me that one at 5pm on Arundel Gate

I did it five times weekly for ten years - the number of dirty looks I used to get because I got on before the other guy, and only left him a choice of 53 empty seats instead of 52, is beyond reckoning. :loopy: