Health and Safety on the buses

EmilyM - you miss the point - be polite and kind at all times not just when there is plenty of space on the bus - basic manners dictate you take your turn not push in when you feel like it

mr_busdriver - pay shouldn't come into it. If you don't like the pay re-train and get a better paid job. If you are working at any job you should try to get it right every time and I would sooner be alive at the end of a bus ride than dead as a result of standing near the driver and going through the windscreen

It might make a difference if the people standing (a) actually bothered to walk a few yards towards the back of the bus and (b) occupied any seats that were vacant. So often it seems that passengers prefer to cluster at the front rather than spread out and occupy all seats. The driver can't see past them to see what the situation is, and few drivers now seem to ask them to move down the bus. Result: safety issue; and bus sails past next stop with driver thinking the bus is full. This happens many times on my bus route.

Too right kilingon! Safety should be an issue ~ its too late when you are thru the windscreen!

Surely it is better to wait and be safe?

Well if the cap fits! too many drivers are over loading their buses! is there not a health and safety issue?

It used to be a health and safety issue. No doubt the govt. have decided it can now be ignored in the interests of operator profitability.

Inevitably there will be a serious accident involving an overcrowded bus resulting in the death and serious injury of passengers and it will once again be a health and safety issue.

You could always write to your MP to find out what the regulations now actually are.

Its catch 22 :gag: Does the driver leave passengers at the bus stop for them to wait another 10-20 mins for a bus in the cold or does he squeze them on :huh:

There is surely no catch 22 about the driver's responsibility for the safety of passengers ?

The people who are moaning about the standing situation.

WOuld you rather cram onto the bus and stand up? or would you rather wait for the next bus?

To be honest as a regular bus passenger If the bus is crammed full and no seats available I dont get on and wait for another bus thats less crowded.

They regularly open the doors well before the actual stop which means those at the stop rush forward thus endangering their own lives and ensuring that anybody who waits for the bus to arrive at the stop usually either misses it altogether or has to stand.

?

& how do they open the doors before stopping ....... they have some kind of auto lock on them ...... cannot open them whilst the bus is in motion .... with exception of 1 or 2 of the older uns .... but most of the moderner low floor busses nooooo way ..... no way whatsoever ..... falsehood untruth ... it is no possible !!!!

Oh Goody :D another bus driving complaint thread :D, Here we go again :suspect:

:hihi: Taxis taking a hammering last month, buses taking a severe hammering this month... who's next?:suspect::suspect::hihi:

Is there not a safety issue? no answer I see...................

Too right kilingon! Safety should be an issue ~ its too late when you are thru the windscreen!

Surely it is better to wait and be safe?

Thousands of buses drive everyday. I can't think of many if any accidents.

The people who are moaning about the standing situation. Would you rather cram onto the bus and stand up? or would you rather wait for the next bus?

Personally, I'd rather get on and take my chances.

I raised this a similar point on the pricing thread, in particular school kids standing on the top deck and stairs of the 41 - there were most definately seats available. Personally I think this one's 50/50, as has been said - bus drivers need to be sensible with the numbers they let on but passengers need to take seats when they are available.

If we're talking H & S there are other issues I've observed:

- People leave the metros all over the place, including the floors, its a slip waiting to happen. I am a big fan of the free paper, especially Nemi, but if you're leaving it for your fellow passenger please leave it neat.

- People cram food remnants and what not into the ticket bin then some fool coming down the stairs flicks it and before you know it dead tickets and dirty food all over the place.

- An old chestnut, bus drivers setting off before people have sat down.

The people who are moaning about the standing situation.

WOuld you rather cram onto the bus and stand up? or would you rather wait for the next bus?

Frankly I agree, I'd rather get on and have to sniff some chav's armpit than be late for work! Surely those who are saying they'd rather wait in the cold and rain for another 20 minutes are being a bit daft? Yeah it would be best if there were more buses but there aren't so we have to do some human origami and cram on - and believe me, if you have a baby in a pram in this cold weather, you soon think of all kinds of ingenious ways you are going to damn well fit onto that bus ;)

I raised this a similar point on the pricing thread, in particular school kids standing on the top deck and stairs of the 41 - there were most definately seats available. Personally I think this one's 50/50, as has been said - bus drivers need to be sensible with the numbers they let on but passengers need to take seats when they are available.

If we're talking H & S there are other issues I've observed:

- People leave the metros all over the place, including the floors, its a slip waiting to happen. I am a big fan of the free paper, especially Nemi, but if you're leaving it for your fellow passenger please leave it neat.

- People cram food remnants and what not into the ticket bin then some fool coming down the stairs flicks it and before you know it dead tickets and dirty food all over the place.

- An old chestnut, bus drivers setting off before people have sat down.

In an ideal world I would love to do this that is, wait until everyone is seated but that would mean a bus about once an hour LOL,

what most experienced drivers do is take each passenger as it comes if they are old wait until they are seated as old folk have brittle bones and are more prone to falling.

One MAJOR MENACE is this habit of standing up to alight before the bus comes to a standstill please just ring the bell in good time that's all thats needed First do ask this in notices on most vehicles and on their website.

In an ideal world I would love to do this that is, wait until everyone is seated but that would mean a bus about once an hour LOL,

what most experienced drivers do is take each passenger as it comes if they are old wait until they are seated as old folk have brittle bones and are more prone to falling.

One MAJOR MENACE is this habit of standing up to alight before the bus comes to a standstill please just ring the bell in good time that's all thats needed First do ask this in notices on most vehicles and on their website.

If you go back to the mid 1980's the govt of the day did a consultation on a sugestion that people would not be allowed to get up before the bus stopped and the driver would not be allowed to move until the passangers were seated , the industry didnt like this one iota and quoted costs which would have to be passed on , however, things changed and we got dereg in stead.

On a simular theme cant remember exact details but a report was done after a coach crash most of the injuries were sustained getting out of the coach after the RTA a report was done sugesting changes in c&u regs regarding emergancey step hights etc - all ignored