What about the sixties pubs then?

70s the George on infirmary rd and a bar in Fitzalan square you went down stairs to it ? french

I lived at Hackenthorpe in the 60's and used to frequent the Blue Bell (or paladium of the North) as it was advertised then. I once got Joe Cockers autograph. It was just after "Marjorine" came out. He wasn't playing there though, he had come to see Frank White and his band. The other Music venues around that area were the Centre Spot at Base Green & The Birley Hotel at Frechville. The Birley is where the Blonde haired guy (cant rememember his name) from the Daisy's got electrocuted on stage if any one remembers that. Some problem with the mike I believe. Anyone remember the Mustard Seed, not the later one opposite the Peace Gardens the old one on three levels. Different music on each level. The downside was the God Squad who were always ready to start up a conversion conversation.

I can remember Spud from the Daizies being electrocuted at The Birley. It always had good groups on and we used to alternate between there and the Blue Bell Hackenthorpe, but at weekends it was always the Black Swan in town. Happy days eh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember going to the lathkill dale Hotel somewhere in the peak district i think when i was 17 in 1962. This was the first time i had seen Joe Cocker live and remember him pouring a full pint of ale over his head to cool down.

also liked going to "CLUB 60 or 69" on Shalesmoor down some steps, a bit like the Liverpool cavern i would imagine.

We always went into a pub nearby i think called the SHIP. Happy days

Nice old thread brought back up, my Dads favorites were The Devenshire Arms in Southey Green and of course the old Magnet, it wasn't so bad back then, mostly an old peoples pub i think.

I liked the Red Lion, can't rememeber the others, I think we did the rounds before going to the City Hall dance, after so many Barley wines you forget the names.

Can't remember going to many with groups but one really unique pub for that time was The Old Blue Bell on High Street.

What a place ! Even by today's standards ,it was very depraved. It was only small,2 rooms downstairs and 1 [?] upstairs. The downstairs back room was like the Casbah.

A really bizarre mixture of people would all mix in together----very democratic !---Hippies, gangsters,drug addicts ,the gay crowd,a few straight people---- and the Law were always paying a visit.

Black Bombers and dexedrine used to float around like sweets[in fact that was their nick-name] and there was some smoke but I can't recall any heroin or cocaine.

People from other cities would have heard of it and pop in when they were in Sheffield so on top of the local celebrities,you were always meeting other interesring people.

The B.B.C. even made a documentary about it and it was built round a young girl who runs away from home and ends up at the Old Blue Bell.

I've never known a place like it ,before or since. Very little violence, a very '60's atmosphere.

An odd thing was that a completely different crowd used to go in the upstairs room[middle aged couples and so on] and each lot probably thought the other lot were crazy.

When it all came to an end,the regulars seemed to split into two groups.The "quiet" ones started to go in the Mulberry more or less opposite but down a side -street and the "rougher" ones went to the Grapes on Trippet Lane ---and other places of course !

We used to include the Old Blue Bell on our pub crawls in the mid 60,s.I dont remember it as you describe it.We use to start our pub crawl at the Black Swan with a pint of Black Velvet then it was pints of bitter in the Stone House ,Stagecoach,West street Hotel (lots of games on the football table),Forresters,Albert and others who,s names escapes me and then the Old Blue Bell on the way back to the Black Swan (mucky duck) for a Black Velvet.Perhaps thats why I dont remember it.I,m not sure if I remembered how I got home !!!! Why is youth wasted on the young?

Hello Muddycoffee

I'm in no position to dispute any of that. I was only stating what I was told by someone who I believed to be in the know regarding the Nailmakers.

I will ask my source to check their facts and elaborate on where their data was obtained from.

Where is the Nailmakers please? I would love to go.

The Marquis of Granby at Bamford used to be brilliant on Saturday nights in the mid sixties. They had a disco called 'As You Like It'. It was half a crown entrance fee. No problems about who was going to drive in those days as the breath test had not yet been thought of. The Turf Tavern disco at Hoyland was also a great place to be on Saturday night, in the same era.

wasn't the Barley Corn noted for it's ladies of the night? :bigsmile:

We used to go to the Barley Corn in the 60's to have a laugh at the queers oops! sorry "gays" mincing about, we were all apprentices at English Steel Corporation at the time.

Imagine our reaction when, one night, we saw Rodney another apprentice from ESC mincing it up on the small raised stage in the corner of the main room with a red rose in his teeth - we all "cracked up" :hihi:

There used to be a "gay boy" serving behind the bar, he was known as Shirley and was a real hard case. I was in there once when three young guys were causing a disturbance and he threatened to take them all outside and sort them out - they "bottled" it :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

There used to be a Nailmakers not far from the Norton Dance Hall where Joe Cocker used to perform. Youngers I think.

Hello Muddycoffee

I'm in no position to dispute any of that. I was only stating what I was told by someone who I believed to be in the know regarding the Nailmakers.

I will ask my source to check their facts and elaborate on where their data was obtained from.

according to the plaque on the wall of the nailmakers, it started out as a nailmakers factory hence the name, the old queens head is supposed to have always been a domestic building. i think the nailmakers came under the norton hammer district which was in sheffield,..just looked it up the sheaf on bramall lane opened in 1816, 34 years before the queens head,also the queens head was not the same building as the banqueting place ,it was next door.

i remember going to the arbourthorne on friday nights .i once saw dave dee of dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch fame.perform there after he had spilt from the group.they charged us 50p to get in and we thought we had been robbed as he only sang for about half an hour.we also did the shiregreen run .shiregreen hotel the sicey the pheasant the horseshoe i think that was opposite concord park if my memory recollects.then it was down firth park to the warncliffe hotel .i think if we spent £3 in a night we had spent a fortune.go down town nowadays and a half a coke costs that much

We used to go to the Barley Corn in the 60's to have a laugh at the queers oops! sorry "gays" mincing about, we were all apprentices at English Steel Corporation at the time.

Imagine our reaction when, one night, we saw Rodney another apprentice from ESC mincing it up on the small raised stage in the corner of the main room with a red rose in his teeth - we all "cracked up" :hihi:

There used to be a "gay boy" serving behind the bar, he was known as Shirley and was a real hard case. I was in there once when three young guys were causing a disturbance and he threatened to take them all outside and sort them out - they "bottled" it :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I used to go in the Barleycorn as well and also the Travellers at the bottom of the Moor, which had a barman (gay). I think they called him Doreen or something similar