Ecclesfield 'village'

According to my dad, John Blazey, the instruments & library went to Hoyland Town (now Strata Band). I am currently writing my (& a few of my dad's) memoirs of Ecclesfield, music & banding - to be published on Kindle soon. If anyone has any photos of infant school (not Rawson's) in 1960's I would love to know, or pic of church from top of St. Mary's lane (by old bandroom).

Hi M. Chapeltown Library used to sell the local history books. They were crammed with old photographs. Perhaps they still do sell them. Failing that it would be a good idea to contact Mel Jones of the Chapeltown and High Green Archive Society. I remember you and Julie, both your parents too. I also remember your Pickering Grandparents when they lived in Johnson Lane. I know your cousin James. Good luck with your project.

do you remember the folk club over the greyhound pub.

do you remember the folk club over the greyhound pub.

I think is was the black bull that had the folk club.

earlier today was told of the passing Tommy Parkinson who was a member of quite a few groups in Ecclesfield Village, including the Brass band and the Bowlng Club. He was on the management at Greens foundry which was on the site Morrisons occupy today. he was a proper gent who was very sociable.

earlier today was told of the passing Tommy Parkinson who was a member of quite a few groups in Ecclesfield Village, including the Brass band and the Bowlng Club. He was on the management at Greens foundry which was on the site Morrisons occupy today. he was a proper gent who was very sociable.

Tommy's sister died three weeks ago. I attended her funeral service. They were part of an old and much liked Ecclesfield family.

no mention of the wheel then all those tall houses my first girlfriend lived on the wheel

Tommy Parkinson was my Uncle ...I attended his Funeral today at Greno Crem ..(His Sister was my Mother....Her Funeral was only 16 days ago ) :cry:...

According to my dad, John Blazey, the instruments & library went to Hoyland Town (now Strata Band). I am currently writing my (& a few of my dad's) memoirs of Ecclesfield, music & banding - to be published on Kindle soon. If anyone has any photos of infant school (not Rawson's) in 1960's I would love to know, or pic of church from top of St. Mary's lane (by old bandroom).

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 11:20 ----------

[/color]

Tommy Parkinson was my Uncle ...I attended his Funeral today at Greno Crem ..(His Sister was my Mother....Her Funeral was only 16 days ago ) :cry:...

I can confirm that Tommy Parkinson was a grand chap, everybody liked him, and, if I am not mistaken, his father-in-law was one of the main men in the Ecclesfield Band for some years.

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 16:06 ----------

Edited by Redfyre
correction

I knew the late Billy Hoyland very well, and he was a member of the Ecclesfield Band for many years. Somewhere I have a pic or two of him on band duty. If I can find them, I will let you know.

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 11:20 ----------

I can confirm that Tommy Parkinson was a grand chap, everybody liked him, and, if I am not mistaken, his father-in-law was one of the main men in the Ecclesfield Band for some years.

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 16:06 ----------

I am told that he is a close friend of a lady called Rachel Bool of Grenoside.

Sorry, but I have never heard of Rachel Bool at all. Am I missing something?

Sorry, but I have never heard of Rachel Bool at all. Am I missing something?

Probably...!

Im new to the forum and watched the film Ecclesfield Holiday Week. I spotted my Mum in the crowd,she was 10 years old and called Sheila Brady then. Ive shown her the film and she was able to pick out her Grandma but she cant recall the event.

Hi, came to Ecclesfield 20th Aug. to celebrate our wedding in 1961 at St Mary's. Had a great welcome at the church coffee morning. Walked through the village. Lo and behold the chippy was still there at the end of the 'wallet'. Had some of course, you have to spoil a girl. Visited the park, and then on to Ecclesfield (used to be grammar school). Lovely welcome from Head Master. Then stayed overnight at the Whitley Hall Hotel. It is superb, and a hidden treasure. Regards to any that might remember Iris (Golding) and myself,

Ken Smith