Ecclesfield 'village'

The building next to The Tankard in the photograph is the village Post Office - run by the Smith family. Later it moved to 10 Church Street. After that it transferred to 12 St Mary's Lane. It finally closed on 8 December 2004.

used to be a good night out but now so boring, and the old shop is even closed, poor old geoff. used to have some good weekends down there with mad pete drajling can anyone remember john who used to have white bear i think he was the best landlord.

Pete Drajling is a familiar name, where would I know him from?

If your Aunt was a slim, blonde lady, then I remember her. The name Carruthers springs to mind, but knowing me - most likely wrong.

Your memory serves you well Nigel.. Jean & Johhny & two kids. Jean still lives in Ecclesfield, but sadly Johnny passed away a number of years ago.

Great post from Whitehorses reminding me of all the shops I'd forgotten about. Fantastic.

Yes, I know where she lives. Tried to PM you to explain it all. However, your profile won't accept PM's. Sorry.

Yes, I know where she lives. Tried to PM you to explain it all. However, your profile won't accept PM's. Sorry.

That's strange. I'll pm you now and see if you can reply if thats OK

Miss Nora Spittlehouse was the Librarian there for many many years.

Was she related to the Miss Spittlehouse who was head teacher at Burncross Infants in the sixties?

Was she related to the Miss Spittlehouse who was head teacher at Burncross Infants in the sixties?

They were sisters. They had other brothers and sisters and lived at Hood Hill, Chapeltown.

The chip shop was called micks fisheries i worked ther when i was 15.

I remember it being one street, I lived on Bernshall Cres and used to wander with my brothers over Eccy and Grenna....remember

Bug hut at the bottom of Chapletown hill ( picture palace ) used the stair carpet to slide from the circle to the stalls, jumped from rafter to rafter in search of pigeon babies and got filthy in the process.

Rifle range: collecting the spent shells

Beagle kennels: mixing dogs with bitches and fouling up the hunt for a while.

Spud picking:& roasting turnips in Grenna woods under the rope swing that my brothers put up.

Going to North's fair.

Watching Mr Tingle with his fancy pigeons.

Playing in the Dams when they were frozen.

Being attacked by a rampant pony in Ecclesfield park.

My brother burning down the pavilion.

My mother decorating the nick with plastic confetti during a deep frost and the steam cleaning it caused.

Does this invoke any memories

I have lived in Ecclesfield village for over sixty years, and do not remember it as only one street. Have a look at the Ecclesfield website, you will see the size of the village in the 1800's. I remember the Cinema House in its heyday (my cousin was manager), and have a full history of it. I also remember the Cricket Pavillion being burned down, and the Workingmen's Club too. Just before my time, a funfair burned down on The Common/Church Street (Pullin's - not North's, who always came behind The Ball Inn). I was born on The Common, and am only a couple of streets away now.

Slightly before my time, I still remember it as one village/street, but then my world was smaller then and it was SAFE cos everyone knew my mom n dad and I couldnt escape without em knowing where I was. Always got threatened ' I'll tell thi dad wat thas been doin!!! ger ome afore I tell im!

I remember the rifle range and the beagles and the dams and the horses on the commen i think morrels owned them they wer never in a very good condition.We used to go to a small shop called woodcocks for sweets and hang out in the park.The village has changed now to many houses .I moved to the other side of sheffield when i was 17 but my mum still lives there.Also i remember the woods off wheel lane a mass of blue with the blue bells.

Corkers owned the ponies, ( fruit n veg) didnt care much for the ponies as far as I'm aware, one had a rotting foot and it kicked my brother when he tried to look at it. Remember going through the ice at the dams n being chased off wet through!