Ecclesfield 'village'

phgoodwin

indeed it was a shelter,had my first taste of beer in it when about 15.would send the biggest and oldest looking lad to the bar while we got out of the way in the shelter.

It's wonderful to hear these memories. I read through most but don't recall anyone mentioning Mrs. greaves who had the sweet shop. Or is my memory totally mixed up?

It's wonderful to hear these memories. I read through most but don't recall anyone mentioning Mrs. greaves who had the sweet shop. Or is my memory totally mixed up?

that's right Mrs Greaves had the little sweet shop

Can anyone remember the blacksmith just up from The Travellers. Conkering the big horse chestnut trees near the vicarage in the field that led down the the ponds behind the dam (which had their own name that I've completely forgot!). Marvelling at the gargoyle on Ecclesfield chuch that was administering 'oral pleasures' to itself or long summer outings to 'Sole Scoppy', which was actually Kepples Column at Scholes Coppice!...... I could go on and on.

Edited by beefface

Can anyone remember the blacksmith just up from The Travellers. Conkering the big horse chestnut trees near the vicarage in the field that led down the the ponds behind the dam (which had their own name that I've completely forgot!). Marvelling at the gargoyle on Ecclesfield chuch that was administering 'oral pleasures to itself' or long summer outings to 'Sole Scoppy', which was actually Kepples Column at Scholes Coppice!...... I could go on and on.

Me and my dad would walk to scholes and go up the tower while mom made Sunday dinner. We used to go over the "iron bridge" and past some aweful smelling ponds. Probably not good for you! That would have been late fifties early sixties. It's a good memory, would love the walks ...long before the motorway. I can't exactly remember how we got there...perhaps up station road...there seemed to be a small hamlet somewhere along the walk? Any ideas?

that's right Mrs Greaves had the little sweet shop

It then belonged to Slacks (Ecclesfield School of Motoring) and then Boons. It closed in 1977 due to compulsory purchase by the now defunct Wortly RDC. A council estate was to be built on the hillside overlooking the park and just about everything from Mobri bakery down to Crompton and Moores was due to be demolished. However !!! Then sheffield Council took over and all the plans were shelved. Some 20yrs later developers bought the land and the private estate was built.

It then belonged to Slacks (Ecclesfield School of Motoring) and then Boons. It closed in 1977 due to compulsory purchase by the now defunct Wortly RDC. A council estate was to be built on the hillside overlooking the park and just about everything from Mobri bakery down to Crompton and Moores was due to be demolished. However !!! Then sheffield Council took over and all the plans were shelved. Some 20yrs later developers bought the land and the private estate was built.

Wonder if that was the same Slacks who lived on Brailsford Ave. I remember Hardrian and Cedrick Slack. Their sister married a Polish guy named Fagalski who my mother always referred to as "the pole at the bottom of the street"

Wonder if that was the same Slacks who lived on Brailsford Ave. I remember Hardrian and Cedrick Slack. Their sister married a Polish guy named Fagalski who my mother always referred to as "the pole at the bottom of the street"

No,they were off Monteney Rd, no 5 actually. Before they had the sweet shop they had a wallpaper shop opposite Rawsons Infant School and before that it was just round the corner of Church St and High St. It was a tiny place painted yellow and the remains, I believe, are still there. Painted on the wall of the shop was the slogan "Why go to town when you can get it here"

Can anyone remember the blacksmith just up from The Travellers. Conkering the big horse chestnut trees near the vicarage in the field that led down the the ponds behind the dam (which had their own name that I've completely forgot!). Marvelling at the gargoyle on Ecclesfield chuch that was administering 'oral pleasures' to itself or long summer outings to 'Sole Scoppy', which was actually Kepples Column at Scholes Coppice!...... I could go on and on.

The blacksmiths was run by Frank and Tommy Creaser. Tommy lived further up The Common towards Cross Hill. It was shoeing horses up to around 1970 I think but had also made iron gates and railings. The house adjacent the road was Mr and Mrs Creaser's and the building in the yard at the back which Eric Steads use was the forge with the hearth.

I think maybe it was the Eric stead petrol station next door. The big building outside was a shelter in the play garden at the side and rear.

I used to get taken to the Travellers as a child in the 1950s and I can't remember a big building in the Travs play area. It was a garden with swings as I recall. Are you sure it wasn't Black Bull?

The ponds were known as the Willowgarth

I used to get taken to the Travellers as a child in the 1950s and I can't remember a big building in the Travs play area. It was a garden with swings as I recall. Are you sure it wasn't Black Bull?

There was a big building in the yard/car park of The travellers. It had toilets in it and always smelt strongly of disinfectant. It was there in the 1960 but I can’t remember when it was taken down.