Ecclesfield 'village'

Hi, came to Ecclesfield 20th Aug. to celebrate our wedding in 1961 at St Mary's. Had a great welcome at the church coffee morning. Walked through the village. Lo and behold the chippy was still there at the end of the 'wallet'. Had some of course, you have to spoil a girl. Visited the park, and then on to Ecclesfield (used to be grammar school). Lovely welcome from Head Master. Then stayed overnight at the Whitley Hall Hotel. It is superb, and a hidden treasure. Regards to any that might remember Iris (Golding) and myself,

Ken Smith

You are more than welcome Ken, we all enjoyed meeting you two in the church.

Hi, came to Ecclesfield 20th Aug. to celebrate our wedding in 1961 at St Mary's. Had a great welcome at the church coffee morning. Walked through the village. Lo and behold the chippy was still there at the end of the 'wallet'. Had some of course, you have to spoil a girl. Visited the park, and then on to Ecclesfield (used to be grammar school). Lovely welcome from Head Master. Then stayed overnight at the Whitley Hall Hotel. It is superb, and a hidden treasure. Regards to any that might remember Iris (Golding) and myself,

Ken Smith

Who'd have thought it? Last day at EGS for Iris, going down to the fair to celebrate, probably with Enid Crossland, you meet on The Waltzer and 56 years on a bag of chips and a cup of coffee at St Marys to celebrate. Congratulations to you both.

Tonio

Cheers Tonio, Ecclesfield looked very clean and tidy and seems to have grown. Could not say the same for Sheffield, very tatty . ken

Just remembered something today while passing The Black Bull pub. What happened to the bull sign that used to hang off the brackets on the outside corner of the pub? It was the shape of a bull and obviously painted black. Would be good if it could be put back or a replica made as I think it's part of the heritage of the pub and the area.

Do they still sing carols in The Black Bull on Thursday nights?

So can I, and his wife Stella. The square is actually called Stocks Hill, as in days past that's where the village stocks were sited. In my childhood, Stocks Hill did not look like it does now - the central part was just pebbles and shale, and used as a large car park. At the back of this 'car park' and facing The Tankard (now The Stocks) were two rows of houses, joining up really far back into the now grassed area. They formed an inverted V shape, and were known locally as 'The Isle'. Just around the corner in Church Street (on the left as you leave Stocks Hill, was another pub (but before my time). It was on the corner of Church Street and Priory Road. It is still there, but is two shops at ground level, with flats above. Its name was The George and Dragon'.

My grandmother was Annice Hobson who used to have the off licence at the rear of the White Bear before Woodcocks took it over. My grandmother's father was called Michell and he used to be landlord of the George and Dragon.

Looking for local history on Ecclesfield police station.(The old one on High Street.).

Was it purpose built as a police station or were the cells an after thought ? How many police were stationed there ?

Publicised crimes solved, local police heroes / villains

Any famous crims temporarily housed there ? (apart from my own overnight stay - Im sure officer Cullen turned the heating off as it was bloody freezing even with the extra bar on)

I joined Ecclesfield Silver Prize as a 13 yr old in 1953 and then moved on to Chapeltown S.P.B. after some silly fall out in1958.I stayed there until 1973 when golf took over from banding.

Some names from the fifties I remember are Joe Hartley(conductor)Dick Hartley(horn)David Flather,Jack Flather,Bill Deardon(cornets)Jimmey Gee(trombone) and the infamous Basil Briggs who,when the Band was parading,played the base drum.

Sadly the band ceased to exist about 20 yrs ago and I have often wondered what happened to the instruments and Band's library of sheet music.

My wife surprised me 4 yrs ago when she got me a new cornet as a Xmas present and to my surprise and joy I was still able to play.Just like riding a bike,you never forget.

I realy enjoyed my 20 yrs banding as I learnt to enjoy and appreciate all types of music.

The infamous Basil Briggs was my great granddad, have a few old stories about him!

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 14:57 ----------

Does anyone know if Ian Jeffcoate and Michael Mole still live in /around the ECCO area ?

The last i knew of Ian, he lived up St Michaels in the 70's.....last time i saw Michael was a few years ago in the Black Bull pub .

They both attended Yew Lane Secondary Modern (now Yewlands ) 65-69 , and both will be around 56 years old ..thanks..GUZZIOWL

I used to work(and drink!) with Mick Mole for a couple of years, we worked for the Hartleys at Ecclesfield Engineering on yew lane. Had some good laughs with Mick and the Hartleys, although I was quite a bit younger than them.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 15:04 ----------

I went to school with both Hocky and Bents. Stephen Bentley was shytot with a catapult, he went into the army and sadly like has been said, is no longer with us. It was drug related death I understand. Hocky used to ride cycle speedway with us down Green Lane, he joined the fire service and was recovering from a bad illness last I heard. His Dad owned/owns the picture framing shop in what was the old chemist opp. Mobri.

There was a kid lived in the shop just after the Griffin, which is now a house, called Mick Flynn, seem to remember they emigrated to Aussie, jammy buggers. My grandad failed his eyesight or we'd have been there.

Steve Bentley's passing was due to renal failure through alcohol.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 15:37 ----------

Hello again nigel, i wonder if mr & mrs beaumont from green lane were any relation to greta beaumont / greensmith, who lives across the road from my parents on sycamore. I also remember mrs braybrooke as being a nice, pleasent woman. the shop seemed so big inside when we were young, until : dells : opened in chapletown, and that seemed enormous inside.

I know Greta very well, I know her sons Mark and Jason. Yes she was a Greensmith before a Beaumont and related to my great Grandma Sarah, who later became Sarah Briggs when she married Basil Briggs(bass drum player of Ecclesfield band), They lived on Park crescent(sycamore rd) before moving to the bottom of Primrose drive, Their son David Briggs(my uncle) who married Joan lived at 62 Sycamore rd

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 15:45 ----------

eyup sycamore, sorry but greta died a year or so back, theres just eldest son mark living in the house now

I think you could be mistaken there , as far as I know Greta is still alive and living with her son Mark on Sycamore.

Reading through the posts there are some that mention The Travellers pub in the 60's and I can remember what it looked like with a large outbuilding in the car park but can you remember there being a petrol pump in the car park. Was it a petrol pump, certainly looked like one but I was very young then, why did the pub have one?

I can't remember there ever being a petrol pump in travellers. There was Hobsons garage opposite Black Bull car park which had 3 very old pumps

I think maybe it was the Eric stead petrol station next door. The big building outside was a shelter in the play garden at the side and rear.

Reading through the posts there are some that mention The Travellers pub in the 60's and I can remember what it looked like with a large outbuilding in the car park but can you remember there being a petrol pump in the car park. Was it a petrol pump, certainly looked like one but I was very young then, why did the pub have one?

I think I remember a petrol or diesel pump being in the blacksmiths to the Sheffield side of the pub..............think it was a green pump with a white top, maybe "Power".