Ecclesfield 'village'

Tony is that the Ian Smart who had a brother named Gerald, live on Tunwell Ave. Was a torment. Lived next door to Linda Smith.

Iris and Kath Golding wish to know.

Ken

That's the one. See him two or three times a week.

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 10:18 ----------

Does anyone know the following these are people i went to school with or were pals in and around Ecclesfield.Michael Finnigan, Raymond Vine,Dave Burgin, Cedric Betney (cousin), Kieth Sleeney, Graham Clark and anyone elsr who knew me. I was born in Ecclesfield, Ialso played with Ecclesfield Red Rose 1958/60 also in 1967.

Hi Graham

Ian Smart is in America until early April and on his return he will contact you. He asks me to tell you that there were a couple of class reunions a few years ago but they were unable to contact you. He has addresses and phone numbers of many of your school pals which you are welcome to.

Sorry to have to tell you that Keith Sleeney has passed on a few years ago.

Ian says that he thinks that you are in the Leeds area

T

thanks for the information,sorry to hear about keith sleeney,would be nice to hear about the others from that era

Hi Cornish Maid, Ken Smith here tunwell drive 1947 to 1960. Brother is Terry. My wife Iris Golding. Her sister Kath married Fred Smith Tunwell Ave. My brother Terry is still in touch with Paul Marsden ex tunwell Ave.

Can anyone please tell me what was the name of the cottages opposite side of the road to Bank House, Iris's Grandparents lived there name of Bertha and Arthur Foster.

I remember both the Golding sisters !, and Fred and his brother (Ray?). They all used to go to Ebenezer . Fred and Ray were both footballers in the church team along with my Brother in law Billy Button . They will remember my sister Beryl and not probably me . but they will all Know of my Mum and Dad .Dad "managed the football team , and ran the Boys Brigade along with Charlie Walker , Remember them all well

Yes Gerald is my younger brother - do you mean he was a torment or I was! (or both perhaps!!) ha

---------- Post added 17-04-2013 at 12:06 ----------

Tony is that the Ian Smart who had a brother named Gerald, live on Tunwell Ave. Was a torment. Lived next door to Linda Smith.

Iris and Kath Golding wish to know.

Ken

How dare the girls call me a torment? ha ha. Gerald still lives around Tunwell Avenue area. I live at Burncross.

---------- Post added 17-04-2013 at 12:09 ----------

thanks for the information,sorry to hear about keith sleeney,would be nice to hear about the others from that era

Hi Graham, I am now back in the UK. Don't know your number or address. Are you still in Leeds?

Memories of St Micheal's Road would be interesting....

Edited by Redfyre
correction

Some years ago I knew the Hoylands of Ecclesfield --there was Bill and Edith on St Michael's Road, and Billy's dad, Tom, lived on The Common. But I am going back a long time. Someone has recently mentioned an Arthur Hoyland of Ecclesfield, but the name doesn't mean anything to me: must be a different branch of the family.

My brother, Keith Boon, tells me that Arthur Hoyland was in his class at Ecc Sec Mod.and thinks that he lived in The Common area. He will be 76 if he is still alive.

My brother, Keith Boon, tells me that Arthur Hoyland was in his class at Ecc Sec Mod.and thinks that he lived in The Common area. He will be 76 if he is still alive.

Arthur Hoyland is my cousin and he is very much alive. You are spot on about his age. He is still in Ecclesfield.

Can't remember the name but it was a farm. Nigel will know.

Did Paul Marsden live at the corner house of Tunwell Ave and Tunwell Drive? I remember him being in the choir at Monteney around 1950/51. He was the star having a lovely boy soprano voice.

I see an old neighbour of yours, Joan Leaming. She is married to David Speight who Iris may remember from EGS.

The name of the farm was Shaw's farm. I remember it well, I lived on the old part of Tunwell Ave I was born there in 1940 and I remember the hay ricks being pulled by shire horses very close to where Wheta Road is now before Parson Cross was built, or was being built, then the bulldozers arrived along with the German prisoners of war.

Does anyone know what happened to the instruments when Ecclesfield Silver Prize Band disbanded. As someone who learnt to play with them,as did Sycamore 66, many years ago I hope that they were not just scrapped.

According to my dad, John Blazey, the instruments & library went to Hoyland Town (now Strata Band). I am currently writing my (& a few of my dad's) memoirs of Ecclesfield, music & banding - to be published on Kindle soon. If anyone has any photos of infant school (not Rawson's) in 1960's I would love to know, or pic of church from top of St. Mary's lane (by old bandroom).

not that i know of mate, he lived at his present address since 74 at least

---------- Post added 28-12-2012 at 21:37 ----------

barbara simmonite.....lovely lady with a lovely family:)

The mounds over the wall at the back of the Junior School ( now knocked down and replaced by housing) were Air Raid shelters that were built for the ww II we used to go down the ladder at one end and walk through in the pitch black for dares there were n shaped hoops cast in the floor which were there there to support planks of wood to make benches. In the event of an Air Raid all the kids from the Junior school would be quickly evacuated from the school building for safety, I don' know what they would have used for lighting I assume it must have been some kind of lantern.

There was an air raid shelter at the back of the school canteen at the Secondary School.

According to my dad, John Blazey, the instruments & library went to Hoyland Town (now Strata Band). I am currently writing my (& a few of my dad's) memoirs of Ecclesfield, music & banding - to be published on Kindle soon. If anyone has any photos of infant school (not Rawson's) in 1960's I would love to know, or pic of church from top of St. Mary's lane (by old bandroom).

Hi Bandsman

This is a pic taken in about 1955 in the old bandroom up Town End Rd. The occasion was the 90th Birthday of the old man playing the trombone.It was taken for pubiication in the S Y Times. I think his name was George Kyme.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc164/toniosf/img518-1.jpg

L to R they are Bill Deardon, ? ,Dick Hartley, Jack Flathers, me Tony Boon, David Flathers, Joe Hartley, and Arthur Newton.

Give my regards to your Dad