Ecclesfield 'village'

I think this has been mentioned previously on the 'Ecco pages' , but they used to sell ice lollies to t' school kids from round t' back o' pub , i often used to buy one and i'd make it last until i got to the top o' Greaves Road...:hihi:

Picture of sportsman is brill that's been stuck in my memory since i was about 10 1963 and I have always associated the pub with the lollies from the back...brilliant that you should mention that.

dos any one remember greaves wool shop at end of genel to shiregreen and lyons general store at end of st michels rd

Can you remember a coalman who used to live on high greave, next door or next door but one to where dentist is now? in those days it was co-op
I think the coalmans name was basher.

dos any one remember greaves wool shop at end of genel to shiregreen and lyons general store at end of st michels rd

Yes I remember Mrs Greaves. I also remember her son Alan and daughter Marilyn. That's a long time ago. Lyons shop was 125 Cross Hill. I think it is now a sunbed tanning shop, but I am not sure. After it was Lyons it became Hurdley's opticians.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

I think the coalmans name was basher.

You're right it was and he used to have what I thought were two huskies bur somebody else said they thought they were some other breed. I remember Mr Basher, he was a plump what to me in those days seemed like an old man. He used to wear what I thought was a leather sleeveless jacket but maybe it was just shiny with age and all the coal dust.

You're right it was and he used to have what I thought were two huskies bur somebody else said they thought they were some other breed. I remember Mr Basher, he was a plump what to me in those days seemed like an old man. He used to wear what I thought was a leather sleeveless jacket but maybe it was just shiny with age and all the coal dust.

Yeah all coalmen whore those sleevless leather jackets.

Our coalman was Jack Galloway ..

yeah , they were Elkhounds , not huskies

Yes I remember Mrs Greaves. I also remember her son Alan and daughter Marilyn. That's a long time ago. Lyons shop was 125 Cross Hill. I think it is now a sunbed tanning shop, but I am not sure. After it was Lyons it became Hurdley's opticians.

yes it woz a long time i used to fetch stockings 4 my mom we lived in the houses at other end of gennel in shirgreen ther used to be a chewing gum matchine on wall and i think cigs there would not be there these days

ne

Anyone know if old Albert Butcher is still around? He lived on Nether Terrace, and before he retired used to work at Brightside Engineering after previously being at Newton Chambers. Not seen him knocking about for a long time.

Trever barred me in 1971 i didnt go in until 1980 but he remembered and told me to leave he took my pint gave me my money back bless him:gag:

It must have been something bad he barred you for! Trevor was a good bloke very reasonable too. I had differences with him but he was fair.