Ecclesfield 'village'

Is there anyone left who remembers William Green's factory, they made stoves, grates and cooking equipment. My father worked for them all his working life, during the war , he was employed fitting galley equipment into ships.

HI Janner yes l recall going to Greens to have repairs to Yorkshire ranges,about 3 times during the years of1947/50 at that time it was the only firm that would do that sort of work in the war yrs.

my grand mother was born in eccesfield in1888 her surname was burton her fother was called george harry burton and her mothers maiden name was eliza gothord bye

can anyone remember the little shop which is now Harrods on Green lane, what are the earliest memories of it? apparently the spot on which Harrods and the Chinese stand used to be a pond, does anyones memory go back that far?

I can remember the shop which was there before the chinese takeaway, it sold general grocery type things. Nigel will know who owned it, I seem to think it was Haigh's. The semi's along that part of The Common were built around 1932.

If there was a pond only people around 80 years of age will know of it.

The shop that is now Harrods was previously owned by Mrs Mary Pick. She traded as a general grocery store. The shop next door which is now the takeaway was previously owned by Mrs Alma Hague. It too was a general grocery store, then Mrs Hague changed it to a chippie. I never knew that there was a pond there years ago. I know there was a large dam at the back of the old Brightside Foundry. I would be very interested to know more about the pond at the corner of Green Lane and The Common. Where did you get your information from? Thanks.

The people in the photo are L to Rt...

Bill Dearden,? Kyme, Dick Hartley, Jack Flathers, Tony Boon,,...?..., David Flathers, Joe Hartley and Arthur Newton

The old man with the trombone was celebrating his 80th, or maybe higher, birthday and still playing with the band.I think his name was George Kyme.He lived in the terrace of houses on High St which had Atheys beer off at one end.

Looking at me in the photo I think I was about 14 which puts its date at 1954

Do you have any information on Bill Dearden in the photo? My grandfather was George Dearden of Nether Terrace, Ecclesfield.

I used to go to all those shops. the Doctor's Surgery at 50 Church Street was only for the brave if Dr Smail was on duty. He could tell you what was wrong with you, just by looking at you. A good Doctor though. Dr Mackintosh was our Doctor. There was a surgery downstairs and one upstairs. Both had ill fitting doors and those in the waiting room heard everything. You could go round the back with your prescription and Miss Dronfield would make it up for you. There was also Mr Nicholson's chemist at the corner of Yew Lane and St Mary's Lane. Mr and Mrs Moxon had the newsagency opposite the Modern School drive.

I was Dr Smail's first NHS baby, born 9/7/48

There used to be a chap called Albert Butcher, who lived on Nether Terrace, just off the Common. He was a bit of a character, a big churchgoer. He worked at Brightside Foundry for some years, and prior to that he worked at Newton Chambers. At Thorncliffe, I think he was a rate fixer, and his boss was a chap called Pringle. If he is still around he must be well into his eighties.

Ecclesfield Handbell Ringers are still in existence, they must have had many local people in the team over the years. Anybody recall any of them from years gone by?

There used to be a chap called Albert Butcher, who lived on Nether Terrace, just off the Common. He was a bit of a character, a big churchgoer. He worked at Brightside Foundry for some years, and prior to that he worked at Newton Chambers. At Thorncliffe, I think he was a rate fixer, and his boss was a chap called Pringle. If he is still around he must be well into his eighties.

He's still there. Known him and his wife Olwen for years.

Ecclesfield Handbell Ringers are still in existence, they must have had many local people in the team over the years. Anybody recall any of them from years gone by?

Conrad Gregory. Eileen Taylor.

The people in the photo are L to Rt...

Bill Dearden,? Kyme, Dick Hartley, Jack Flathers, Tony Boon,,...?..., David Flathers, Joe Hartley and Arthur Newton

The old man with the trombone was celebrating his 80th, or maybe higher, birthday and still playing with the band.I think his name was George Kyme.He lived in the terrace of houses on High St which had Atheys beer off at one end.

Looking at me in the photo I think I was about 14 which puts its date at 1954

Do you have any information on Bill Dearden in the photo? My grandfather was George Dearden of Nether Terrace, Ecclesfield.

When I was a kid, George Dearden and his wife lived at 10 Nether Terrace, next door to my Mum's sister. My Mum was in hospital for the best part of a year and my Dad and myself lived with her sister and husband at 8 Nether Terrace. I got to know Mr & Mrs Dearden quite well. I also remember them when they moved to 79 St Michael's Crescent.