Ecclesfield 'village'

I used to love the little walkway that went from the High Street down into the Park. It was like a secret passage or something from Enid Blyton

i bought the chipshop in 1981 and ran it for a year. the chippy and the fruit shop were divided by a hardboard sheet. i couldnt wait to flog it . it was a rat infested hole and the cellers were all flooded. my apologies to anyone who ever bought anything from my shop and ended up with del belly

without predjudice

It's still there, that's the Ladycroft footpath. It is cobbled all the length but they have become buried under years of leaves.

I remember our Doctors was at the bottom of Yew Lane (opposite Reneville Drive), can't remember his name but if you went in to see him, the room was always FULL of smoke. Can't remember if it was a pipe or cigs he smoked but it was dreadful. That would be around 1968ish, they later relocated on to Elm Lane.

Can you imagine owt like that today ??

What about the cardboard slides on "The Brookes". . ... remember them ?

then sledging down there in winter... great fun.

I remember our Doctors was at the bottom of Yew Lane (opposite Reneville Drive), can't remember his name but if you went in to see him, the room was always FULL of smoke. Can't remember if it was a pipe or cigs he smoked but it was dreadful. That would be around 1968ish, they later relocated on to Elm Lane.

Can you imagine owt like that today ??

Dr Labib Botros, 55 High Street (now demolished).

It's still there, that's the Ladycroft footpath. It is cobbled all the length but they have become buried under years of leaves.

It's unsafe to walk on these days, as it is so slippy with all those rotting leaves. It is also crumbling away. The Ladycroft footpath was laid down in 1788, on land owned by a Mr Dixon. Mr Dixon could have been the vicar, as James Dixon was vicar of Ecclesfield at that time. Work on the Ladycroft path construction began on 19 April of that year. Somewhere towards the top is 'the spitting diamond stone' - no more than a diamond - shaped cobblestone which countless generations of children spat on as they walked over it. It was supposed to bring good luck. I had a look for it last week, but could not locate it under all that rubbish.

cAN YOU REMEMBER THE COAL MAN BOTTOM OF YEW LANE THINK IT WAS CALLED MAWS.AND THE CHIP SHOP MICKS FISHERIES I WORKED THERE FOR A WHILE WHEN I WAS 15.

Maws are still there. When I was a kid, Mick's fish shop was owned by Mrs Darwin. Everyone knew the shop as 'Mariah's' (as in Carey), It's a photographic studio now, and Brian Goodhand's fruit shop next door is now a boutique.

oh gosh didnt see any rats when i was there thank god.was damp in the back part of the shop though.

My other half was born and brought up in Ecclesfield, and she's been reading these posts with great interest. She can remember most of what's been recalled and would like to ask this.... Does anybody remember Mrs Catlin wo worked in the chippy at the side of the Ball, apparently she made the best chips ever. Also the cobblers next door, which became a bookies, Goldsmith's fruit shop (run by Ken and Dorothy), and what about Rushby's bakery?

Bring back memories to anyone ???

Trying to work out who you are Grommit.What number on Bernshall and when did you leave Colley

Lived at number 2 and Left Colley in 71 when we moved to other side of Sheffield.

My other half was born and brought up in Ecclesfield, and she's been reading these posts with great interest. She can remember most of what's been recalled and would like to ask this.... Does anybody remember Mrs Catlin wo worked in the chippy at the side of the Ball, apparently she made the best chips ever. Also the cobblers next door, which became a bookies, Goldsmith's fruit shop (run by Ken and Dorothy), and what about Rushby's bakery?

Bring back memories to anyone ???

Yes, I remember Mrs Catlin, and Rushbys, my aunt lived in the cottages at the side of Catlins as well.