Post Office Broadband - Question.

why don't you plug in the one you got from the PO, look at the settings, make a note of them, then plug in your other one, and configure it manually?

I'm a Post Office Broadband customer and have just successfully switched from the Netgear DM111PSP modem provided by the PO to a hand-me-down

Netgear DG834G. I was stumped at not being able to browse the internet despite the setup reporting a good connection. It turned out to be a username/password issue. Here's how I retrieved them from my DM111PSP.

First you access the DM111PSP's setup by pointing your browser at 192.168.0.1, and type in the username and password printed above the bar code on the bottom of the modem. The Post Office username and password aren't immediately obvious, because the modem skips straight past this page. I unplugged the phone connection to the modem to push it into fault. This then revealed the username and password screen. You need to click into the username field and arrow to the right to see the full user name.

My username is firstnamedotlastnamedotpostoffice@mypostofficedotcom. The password is a bit more tricky because it appears as asterisks which you can't copy and paste into a text editor. There's a handy hint on wwwdotwhatsmypassdotcom. This provides some JavaScript that you can paste into your browser address and navigate to. This popped up my six-letter password. There are two scripts provided, and only the first worked for me using Firefox 2. However, it didn't work the first time because the Netgear config pages use frames. I looked at the page source code and identified connect.html as the page I wanted. I then navigated to 192.168.0.1/connect.html, re-pasted the javascript into my browser, clicked go and that got me the password. I then switched back to the Netgear DG834G, told it I used a username and password, then added in the info extracted from the modem.

Here's the javascript I used:

javascript: (function(){var s,F,j,f,i; s = ""; F = document.forms; for(j=0; j<F.length; ++j) { f = F[j]; for (i=0; i<f.length; ++i) { if (f.type.toLowerCase() == "password") s += f.value + "\n"; } } if (s) alert("Passwords in forms on this page:\n\n" + s); else alert("There are no passwords in forms on this page.");})();

You'll need to remove the colon between javascript: and (function if you copy and paste the above - I had to put a space in to avoid colon-left bracket being turned into a smiley e.g. :(

I finally used this useful article to set up the wireless router: wwwdotthinkbroadbanddotcom/hardware/reviews/2004/q3/netgear-dg834g.html

I thought I'd document this here, as this was the only thread Google found without doing more digging around. Forgive the use of 'dot' in web addresses, but as a newbie to the forum I can't post URLs.

Backup the DM111 settings to file backupsettings.xml.

When you open this file you will find username and password.

username is of the form "firstname.lastname.postoffice@mypostoffice.com" followed by password"xxxxxxxxxxx"

these are encoded as in the following table:- Character/code

a/9E b/9D c/9C d/9B e/9A

f/99 g/98 h/97 i/96 j/95

k/94 l/93 m/92 n/91 o/90

p/8F q/8E r/8D s/8C t/8B

u/8A v/89 w/88 x/87 y/86

z/85 @/BF ./D1

simply type in the username and password into the appropriate places and use pppoA vpi=0 vci=38 in the wireless modem/router e.g. DG834G and away it goes

I too have a "mypostoffice" broadband account and use it successfully with the original wired modem. Now I am trying to connect with a Netgear DGN2100 wireless modem but despite following Big Bill's tips above (I am confident I have the right username and password and have the VPI set at 0 and VCI at 38, but still can only get a red internet light. Has anyone actually succeeded in getting a modem other than that supplied by the postoffice to work with this service? I am totally baffled at what else I could be doing wrong here.

I am using my own netgear router with a post office basic account.

I rang the post office and asked, and they provided my with my username and password. I just asked for the broadband username and password, and no other assistance, perhaps that helped.

The connection is pppoA, VC-based, VPI=0, VCI=38.

User name is name.surname.postoffice@mypostoffice.com

Password is a six-letter password which is pretty similar to the web one but with a couple of changes.

I hope that helps someone!