The Yorkshire Ripper

I remember walking to a shop about 6p.m. one night the year he was caught. A young woman crossed the road to speak to me saying she worked at the Hallamshire Hospital

and had been told there was an idea the Ripper would strike in Sheffield. She was clearly terrified.

I told her I thought she shouldn't be scared and that it was unlikely he would come to Sheffield.

I remember walking to a shop about 6p.m. one night the year he was caught. A young woman crossed the road to speak to me saying she worked at the Hallamshire Hospital

and had been told there was an idea the Ripper would strike in Sheffield. She was clearly terrified.

I told her I thought she shouldn't be scared and that it was unlikely he would come to Sheffield.

Please read my post at # 72, almost the same story, except ,in my case the lady I tried to convince was my wife.

There was a few stories about sightings in Sheffield after he was caught wasn't there? I often wondered if there had been some intelligence but to have broadcast it would have just led to mass hysteria for want of better words.

My brother in law was a reporter for a national newspaper at the time the ripper was caught, he was at our house when it was announced he had been arrested (Sunday afternoon) he phoned the news desk and asked if they wanted him to cover the story as he was in Sheffield which they did, he spent months investigating everything and anything connected with Sutcliffe, the only picture you have seen of Sutcliffe my brother in law bought from Sutcliffe's father in law for £30,000, he bought 2 pictures, the one everyone has seen is part of a wedding photo where he and his wife were cutting the wedding cake, I thought at the time the paper must have been mad to pay that much for the photos but they sold the copyright to every news agency, newspaper and TV company and made a fortune, the other photo was given to my brother in laws brother ( a lorry driver) to show around to find people who knew him, so in depth was his investigation into Sutcliffe he discovered a local catholic priest had presided over Sutcliffe's wedding.

I think sutcliffe intended to get caught that night. This is why he went back to the red light district after a two and  half year gap

15 minutes ago, doncasterman said:

I think sutcliffe intended to get caught that night. This is why he went back to the red light district after a two and  half year gap

He was not caught in a 'red light district'.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

He was not caught in a 'red light district'.

Correct. But Melbourne Avenue is very close to what was one.

23 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Correct. But Melbourne Avenue is very close to what was one.

It also made for a better story to report that the events to have taken place in Broomhall with its 'reputation' than in Broomhill, which the Poet Laureate described it as a "leafy district" and "still the prettiest suburb in England".

Also its a good 15-20 min walk uphill.

Well obviously he picked her up in the red light district. From what i read he spent quite abit of time talking to her in his car.  I think he had enough and wanted it to be over. He knew he was going to lose his job as he had been done for drink driving.

he didnt want to get caught,he asked the copper if he could go for a pee ,then hid his murder kit he had on him.

11 minutes ago, scrapper said:

he didnt want to get caught,he asked the copper if he could go for a pee ,then hid his murder kit he had on him.

Then why did he go back to the red light area? The previous prostitute he killed was in 1978. He knew the police would be all over the red light districts.

2 hours ago, doncasterman said:

Then why did he go back to the red light area? The previous prostitute he killed was in 1978. He knew the police would be all over the red light districts.

The answer to that question is blindingly obvious really if you apply just a little thought.