The Yorkshire Ripper

peter sutcliffe did not drink

Peter sutcliffe spent a lot of time in pubs, so im sure he did drink. A good book that i read was called "somebody's husband somebody's son. This book starts from when he was born right up to his trial and is a good insight into his life.

Read the book by Richard McCann, whose mother Wilma was murdered by Sutcliffe, it makes your blood run cold thinking what he and his sisters have gone through because of Sutcliffe.

The book is called Just a boy.

Read the book by Richard McCann, whose mother Wilma was murdered by Sutcliffe, it makes your blood run cold thinking what he and his sisters have gone through because of Sutcliffe.

Old stamps or new ones ?

Yes it was the false number plates that brought attention to the car. I'm not sure how long after this the police figured out who they were holding. After he was arrested and recognised as the Ripper he apparently almost escaped through a toilet window at the police station - caught by his legs as he slipped out. Does anyone know if that bit is true or is it a modern myth?

Btw - Melbourne Ave was a through road in those days - the bollards at the traffic lights are a recent addition.

False number plates on his car was indeed his undoing. After sentencing his car was up for sale. I wouldn't want it though. It must have had some right hammer.

Peter sutcliffe spent a lot of time in pubs, so im sure he did drink. A good book that i read was called "somebody's husband somebody's son. This book starts from when he was born right up to his trial and is a good insight into his life.
I've began to read through the thread and it's very interesting. I remember going on "Ripper hunts" with about 20 or so of my biker mates around the Havelock Square area. You could always tell the "undercover" cops in their Talbot Horizon cars.

Crackers really, l don't know what the hell we did it for either.

I actually met a young fella in Leeds in 1983 who used to go to school with Jayne McDonald l believe the Ripper's youngest victim. He lived a few houses away from her. His wish was to be in the same room as Sutcliffe, the words amputation and skinning alive were used alot .

There's nothing wrong with civil liberties. I wonder who the plonker is here?

I believe in civil liberties, I also 5think Sutcliffe should be never released (and he won't be!) Do you think were are all friends of Fred West as well?

Probably:rant: :rant:

I read this book - I read the final 3 chapters or so while I was waiting for my passport to be done in Liverpool. I was in the cafe in the Tate and remember reading the last part of the book and tears streaming down my face. Nobody should have to live through what they went through.

After his name was released, a local haulage contractor showed me his signature in a book, as he had signed for a cargo.

The arresting officers were,in fact,awarded some money as a token of their diligence.It wasn't much though-about a hundred quid each.I also believe Sutcliffe was about to be banned for DUI at the time of his arrest.

On this day 35yrs ago, he was arrested in Sheffield. THANK GOD Your memories?.

Scary times indeed. My mum used to pop round to a friend of hers a two minute walk round the corner and I was absolutely terrified wondering whereabouts the Yorkshire Ripper might be that night.

I remember him being found down a lane near King Edward VII School, Broomhill but even then I felt quite worried; maybe they'd got the wrong man?

Ah, the early eighties eh? The Toxteth and Brixton Riots, black and white newspapers and three TV channels. But in a strange way, the Specials' Ghost Town just summed all this up, a number one single in June 1981.

But as for letting Sutcliffe out. No doubt some civil liberty plonkers will be working on his release - and compensation - right now.....,

You have just exercised a 'Civil Liberty' just there.

---------- Post added 03-01-2016 at 01:46 ----------

Yes it was the false number plates that brought attention to the car. I'm not sure how long after this the police figured out who they were holding. After he was arrested and recognised as the Ripper he apparently almost escaped through a toilet window at the police station - caught by his legs as he slipped out. Does anyone know if that bit is true or is it a modern myth?

Btw - Melbourne Ave was a through road in those days - the bollards at the traffic lights are a recent addition.

He was taken to Hammerton Road police station where when in the toilet tried to dispose of some evidence (screwdriver ?) The rest ???

Edited by stpetre

You have just exercised a 'Civil Liberty' just there.

---------- Post added 03-01-2016 at 01:46 ----------

He was taken to Hammerton Road police station where when in the toilet tried to dispose of some evidence (screwdriver ?) The rest ???

Correct and we lived just a few streets away, and my wife asked me to meet her at the bus stop at 9pm each night( twilight shift) a week before he was caught, saying she thinks the ripper will hit Sheffield next. I just laughed, but did what she asked. According to a friend who was a regular in the Domino ,which was in the red light district, he picked up the girl he was with in there that night he was caught