The Yorkshire Ripper

Originally posted by Plain Talker

Honeyplanet, no, it wasn't in a pub car park; he had gone down an alley behind Westbourne Rd (melbourne is the name I recall) and was caught there.

He had made out to the prostitute with whom he was caught, that they were going to this secluded area for "business".

It is almost certain, (as sheffexpat says) that this young woman was going to be his next "victim", because of the weight of the evidence that the police recovered.

On his arrest, Sutcliffe pretended that he needed to go for a wee, and craftily hid the hammer and screwdriver he was carrying, behind a drainpipe/ down a drain.

The police were astute enough to go back and check where he'd been, and found the "tools" hidden in the drain. This was more incriminating evidence against Sutcliffe.

A lot of women breathed a huge, collective sigh of relief when he was convicted.

PT

My friend was a WPC in Sheffield a few years ago, and she told me that Peter Sutcllife didn't hide his weapons at the scene on Melbourse Avenue, but they were found in a toilet cistern at the nick on Hammerton Road. Perhaps this is why the arresting officers did not receive the reward? Of course, it could by a made up story, but she definately believed it.

Kristian x

Originally posted by Kristian

My friend was a WPC in Sheffield a few years ago, and she told me that Peter Sutcllife didn't hide his weapons at the scene on Melbourse Avenue, but they were found in a toilet cistern at the nick on Hammerton Road. Perhaps this is why the arresting officers did not receive the reward? Of course, it could by a made up story, but she definately believed it.

Kristian x

I have some books about him and this is true. Sutcliffe did hide something (a hammer?) in the toilet cistern at Hammerton Rd.

And I'm not sure whether the bit about the arresting officers and a reward was in jest, but they aren't allowed to get monetary gain for doing their job.....?!!!

i dont think he tried to escape through the window,as far as i remember he tried to hide something in the water tank in the toilet, that is what made the police go back to melbourn and do a search of the area.

My mum and nan used to live in a huge house at Broomhill that had been turned into flats.Theyhad the basement flat and apparantly the 'tools' of the ripper were found at the bottom of their drive.

A few weeks previous to him bieng caught,my nan had been approached on her way back from work by a man asking her for 'business'..........makes you wonder eh?

I read somewhere that Peter Sutcliffe had a drink in the Springvale on commonside before he got caught, not sure how true that is.

Originally posted by Lickszz

It was in the press the other week about someone wanting to marry him. What kind of a person would want to marry someone like that?

somebody that likes having sex then getting murderd

Originally posted by Kristian

Kristian x

i heard the same story from a pc two days after sutcliffes arrest,all they had him for at the time was displaying stolen number plates on his car

I remember watching the news on the morning after Sutcliffe's arrest, and being shocked, not just by the arrest of the Ripper, but because I recognised one of the women working as prostitutes as a former fellow pupil of the school I had attended until 1978. The ex-pupil of Hinde House had declined to get into the car with the Ripper , viewing him as untrustworthy-looking. The image of her weeping face, as she clung on to her friend in front of the tv cameras was a sad and poignant one; a million miles from the cheerful mixed-race girl I knew from school. I hope that she has created a better life for herself since then.

the son of the last victim has written a book which i read before christmas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0091898218/qid=1105100705/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/202-4343848-8507028

incase that doesn't work its called just a boy by richard mcgann. it was a sad reminder that these things are not forgotten by those involved and the events have repercussions which can go on for many years

i think the advert @ the side of this is ironic car number plates lol

Hi - I'm new here. Great site BTW.

I'm a Sheffield lad (South Anston) and am researching the Ripper right now.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Denise Hall or Olivia Reivers (the two prostitutes caught up in the arrest of Sutcliffe)?

I'm wanting to hear stories from anyone who remembers the period.

I don't mind if you post here or email me: unclespoons@btinternet.com

It's a really interesting thread this! :)

Originally posted by Spoons

Hi - I'm new here. Great site BTW.

I'm a Sheffield lad (South Anston) and am researching the Ripper right now.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Denise Hall or Olivia Reivers (the two prostitutes caught up in the arrest of Sutcliffe)?

I'm wanting to hear stories from anyone who remembers the period.

I don't mind if you post here or email me: unclespoons@btinternet.com

It's a really interesting thread this! :)

hi all,

interesting thread. I was born & raised in sheffield & humberstone, but i became a west ozzie in 1967.

However i went over to uk in 2000 & we went to blackpool & stayed in a b & b. A woman who stays there often was a victim of the ripper who lived. To be kind- she was a bit weird wouldn't lock a door (even the loo), yelled if anyone even slightly surprised her. She seemed to be always with a younger woman (daughter maybe).

cheers