The Yorkshire Ripper

A previous posting mentioned being afraid to go out etc during the reign of the ripper.

I thought back to that time ... I was 21 when he was arrested and although when he was discussed at work I agreed with the general consensus that it wasnt safe to go out alone, I dont think it really curtailed my activities or made me go home in fear looking over my shoulder.

I was a student nurse for a brief period prior to his arrest and obviously had to do shifts and come home alone, go to work in the dark etc. I cannot remember being excessively frightened at all. I wonder whether this was just the foolishness of youth, or the fact that my mother/boyfriend never harped on about me coming home alone, so I just got on with it.

I remember waiting in the crowd outside of the court after his first appearance, I was with a mate of mine, and he was screaming and shouting obcenitiese at him for all he was worth. Things like " you lousey B'stard," ( I think it means born out of wedlock.)"I'll get you for this" Ranting and raving he was, for half an hour at least. Pushing his way through the crowd trying to get at him, Steady on Jim I said to him, what's he done to you? "He pinched my effin number plates he said." I am going to kill him.

Originally posted by Lickszz

It was in the press the other week about someone wanting to marry him. What kind of a person would want to marry someone like that?

someone that likes having sex the getting their brains bashed out.

The prostitute that was with Sutcliffe when he was caught was up in court a few weeks later for soliciting again. I know her name but won't put it here for data protection reasons. However you'd have thought she might have taken 5 after such a close shave wouldn't you?

My friend was a WPC in Sheffield a few years ago, and she told me that Peter Sutcllife didn't hide his weapons at the scene on Melbourse Avenue, but they were found in a toilet cistern at the nick on Hammerton Road. Perhaps this is why the arresting officers did not receive the reward? Of course, it could by a made up story, but she definately believed it.

Kristian x

he did hide a knife in the cistern at hammerton rd the other articles were found on melbourne avenue tha hammer and screwdriver. the west yorkshire police did not want to know when hammerton rd told them they had caught the ripper. It was only when bob ring returned the following evening 26 hours after the arrest and recovered the items at melbourne avenue that the police in west yorkshire started to take any notice. one more thing if it was not for the custody sargeant refusing to realease him within a hour of his arrest he would have walked out without charge. the two arresting offices did not have a clue who he was it was a hunch by the custody sargaent that kept him there he should have got the reward money

I know a lad that was actually at the station on a charge, who had to be moved out of the station because of Peter Sutcliffe. My mate could have really sorted him out too if he'd have known. Judge, Jury and Executioner all in one go. No need to waste tax payers cash keeping him in Prison either....if only eh?

he did hide a knife in the cistern at hammerton rd the other articles were found on melbourne avenue tha hammer and screwdriver. the west yorkshire police did not want to know when hammerton rd told them they had caught the ripper. It was only when bob ring returned the following evening 26 hours after the arrest and recovered the items at melbourne avenue that the police in west yorkshire started to take any notice. one more thing if it was not for the custody sargeant refusing to realease him within a hour of his arrest he would have walked out without charge. the two arresting offices did not have a clue who he was it was a hunch by the custody sargaent that kept him there he should have got the reward money

I have read that Tets, it gives a lot of food for thought.
/

this book was written before the chap in SUNDERLAND got caught this makes the book pure fiction

I worked at a school at this time and one of the mothers was the wife of senior Sheffield policeman. The morning after the arrest she came to school and told us that one of the arresting Police was known amongst the squad as bit of a peeping tom.

They had had complaints from courting couples about a man peeping in the car windows carrying a bucket, which I presume was his helmet.

Perhaps this is why he didn''t get the reward.

hazel

The news of his arrest was kept secret for three days arrested friday news released mom pm

I read somewhere that Peter Sutcliffe had a drink in the Springvale on commonside before he got caught, not sure how true that is.

peter sutcliffe did not drink

The prostitute that was with Sutcliffe when he was caught was up in court a few weeks later for soliciting again. I know her name but won't put it here for data protection reasons. However you'd have thought she might have taken 5 after such a close shave wouldn't you?

her name as already been mentioned on this thread

/

this book was written before the chap in SUNDERLAND got caught this makes the book pure fiction

The man who wrote that book posts on the forum under the name (strangely enough) of noelogara, and hopefully he may pass some comment on this thread.

the girl who used to live next door to me was a "working girl" (coff). she and the lass that they finally caught sutcliffe with, used to work as a pair, on the streets.

It's eerie to think that he was as close as he was to murdering someone here in Sheffield.

I was only eleven when his first known victim was killed, (in 1975) I was much of an age of one of this woman's sons..

The youngest girl who was murdered by him was only 16, she was only about a year older than I was. (edit to add/ correct:- she was killed in June 1977, making her 3 or so years older than me)

I remember the terror and fear that we women felt, going out at night, particularly. Every bloke was viewed with the greatest of suspicion. every bloke, or any bloke could have been the yorkshire ripper. Thank god he was caught.

I heard that the sheffield coppers who caught him never got the offered reward that the newpapaers etc out up, because he was arrested by thenm in the course of their duties.

That was a proper SWIZZ! It was so unfair!

They should have received DOUBLE the reward, AND medals, on medals, for what they did. It's unbelieveable that they nabbed this ***@*@*"(:, simply because they were astute enough to cotton on to the dodgy number plates on the car..

Amazing. Those coppers should have had a knighthood for what they did.

PT

Deffinately agree.

Duties? Bah.