Council rent - do you still get "free" weeks over Christmas?

Jeffrey Shaw

Various threads on same topic now merged (again).

Message added by Jeffrey Shaw

as the title says,can anyone shed any light as to when the two weeks are???used to be able to find out in the rent book but since we dont have one anymore cant look!!!!!

you should have recieved a letter think its 22nd or something and following week :D

its usually the Monday before xmas and the Monday before new year

not 100% as cant find my letter which i received about a week ago

Does everyone get these? My landlord hasn't said anything! :confused:

It's a council tenant thing, if you have an actual landlord you wouldn't get this...unless it is an especially kind landlord:D

my landlord is sheffield city council..i pay my rent (full rent)every week of the year...this covers rent and repairs...and as a bonus i get two rent free weeks per year...great that it falls over xmas and new year when the extra money really comes in handy...ok now for full backlash from private tenants and home owners ..go on guys do your worse....but lol i still get two rent free weeks n you don,t

Are you sure that you don't get charged 52 weeks rent, spread over 50 weeks each year??

rent free weeks are week commencing 22nd december and week commencing 29th december.

Are you sure that you don't get charged 52 weeks rent, spread over 50 weeks each year??

do you know what if that was true i dont care ...if i pay an extra £1.25 or there about per week for 50 weeks to get 2 rent free weeks at xmas that's fine by me...the extra money does come in handy at this time of year

I'd rather pay nearly a grand a month mortgage than live in a council house!
Can you tell me why you would rather pay that daft amount? Its just that i live in a semi detached council house, gardens to the front and rear.... 2 car capacity on drive.it costs me £55 per week!! Your claim seems a bit far stretched i was wondering if you had had any problems with a council house or if you have just pre judged something you know nothing about????:huh:

I'd rather pay nearly a grand a month mortgage than live in a council house!

I'm with you coop, no offence to people in council houses(as mine is ex) but its the feeling of pride to own, well to me anyway

Can you tell me why you would rather pay that daft amount? Its just that i live in a semi detached council house, gardens to the front and rear.... 2 car capacity on drive.it costs me £55 per week!! Your claim seems a bit far stretched i was wondering if you had had any problems with a council house or if you have just pre judged something you know nothing about????:huh:

The trouble is no one can get council houses any more! I tried and I was told as I'm working and have no kids, I'd have no chance..... anyway that's a different thread completely lol

I wish my mortgage company would give me two weeks free :(