Ecclesfield Town Secondary School

I phoned the South Yorkshire Times and they told me that their records were at Doncaster Library. I phoned Doncaster Library and they confirmed that they had the records on Microfiche and that I would have to book time on one of their computers in advance, its just a matter of me getting off my rear end which I will do shortly.

I phoned the South Yorkshire Times and they told me that their records were at Doncaster Library. I phoned Doncaster Library and they confirmed that they had the records on Microfiche and that I would have to book time on one of their computers in advance, its just a matter of me getting off my rear end which I will do shortly.

That's ok then. Just didn't want you to have a wasted journey. When I looked at the SYT it was for the year 1921. They were the actual newspapers. I used to go in my lunch hour as I worked in Pond Street, Sheffield. Only five minutes from the library. Good luck in finding what you want.

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 01:44 ----------

School playing field: When I went to school at the infant, junior and secondary modern, we used to walk diagonally across the playing field. In about 1954-55, a boundary fence was erected and consequently we had to go around the periphery of the playing fields and across Singleton's field. After a while some pupils started to climb over the fence, which was eventually flattened. When Mr. Brook found out he went completely ape and all the boys from that end of the village who were in the 3rd and 4th years were assembled in the hall and all were given 2 whacks, one on each hand. There were 25 of us, I know I was the last in the queue and I counted them all. Imagine what would happen in today's climate!

---------- Post added 21-04-2013 at 17:42 ----------

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p704/Ian7658/bth_EcclesfieldSecModTeachers_zps9a458413.jpg?t=1366558716

The above link is to a photo of teachers at Ecclesfield Secondary Modern in 1955. To the best of my recollection the names are:

From left to right back row:

School Secretary (?); not known; Mr. Fred Mann; Mr. Tighe; Mr. Herbert Foat; Charles Cooper; Mr. Lang; Mr. Jack Wood; not known'; Mrs. Joyce Bickerstaff.

Left to right Front row: not known; Mrs. Everard; Mr. John Senior; Mr. Ralph Brook (headmaster); school governor; Vicar Hayes; Mrs. Dolly Wright; Miss Molly Armstrong.

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 16:41 ----------

I understand the above link is not creating the photo, so I am giving it again, below. I believe this link is OK.

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p704/Ian7658/EcclesfieldSecModTeachers_zps9a458413.jpg

If memory serves me right, Mr. Mann and Mr. Wood left at the end of the academic year, 1955.

Top row, second left is Michael Stanyon. The vicar is the Rev, CRJ Hayes, and bottom row, immediate left is Mrs Doris Bamforth.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

Hi Barry,

I've just come across this old thread again.

We now live in Spain at Albatera near Alicante.

Where are you?

Regards

Steve Wharton

Has anyone got photos of the school and especially pupils,class photos etc, 1957/62. Would like to hear from anyone in class 4a

On 01/04/2011 at 22:21, sycamore66j said:

I went to secondary modern from 1965 to 1969 and remember there being an air raid shelter on the school playing fields. I think it was near to a clump of trees. It had a steel cover over the entrance which we once prized open and crawled inside. It was too dark to see much, then we were hauled out by a teacher, i think it was filled in and sealed up soon after.

You couldn't have gone to Ecclesfield Secondary modern, it closed in July 1962 and most of the pupils transferred to Colley.  Aedificamus was the motto of the Grammar school