Ecclesfield Town Secondary School

Sounds good, it's nice here but can't say the same for security,Darnt go in the garden without locking up,,,Still it was our choice so we have to live with it iAnyway all the best, next time we drive back through France Il let you know ,

Be nice to share a glass of wine

Bas

That would be good................let me know!

Best wishes

Steve

I was a pupil of ETSC from 1951 - 55. In the entrance hall there was a circular window which showed the opening date of the school, and I think also the name of the person who opened the school. On a recent visit to the school I noticed the window had been bricked up and I inquired about what had happened and was told that some spotty faced youth had put a brick through it and the window was not replaced. Can anyone can remember what was on the window? I would be interested to know. Sheffield Education Dept do not have any details and I appreciate that the school at that time was under West Riding County Council in Wakefield.

I have a faint recollection of the following on the window. 'Opened by Councillor Herbert Morrison'. The date was there too, but I can't remember it.

Did anyone go the Ecclesfield Town Secondary School when Mr R. Brooke was headmaster?

Mr Foat was one of the teachers at that time. I think he taught Art.

I left in 1957 and went on to Barnsley Tech.

Hi, I remember Mr. Foat and yes, he was the art teacher. He lodged at with a Mr & Mrs Woollen who lived in a house just above Binghams Farm on the Wheel (left hand side as you face up the hill) When Woollens left, their house was bought by Walt Walker who opened the garage on the Common which was later taken over by Eric Stead.

Edited by vicarry

Thanks Nigel for that information. There was a government minister of that name around that time indeed his grandson is Peter Mandelson. I think that the opening year was 1939/40. When I came from the junior school I remember looking at the window and thinking what a funny time to build a school when there was a war on.

I will contact Wakefield Town Council to see if they have any info, another thought that I had was the" South Yorkshire Times." I would have thought that the school opening would have been reported at the time, I understand that the SYT archive is situated at Doncaster Library which I intend to visit.

Hi Skis

I never expected to hear anything on that post. It's ages since I came onto Sheffield Forum.

My post was almost 9 years ago in 2004.

I was actually alerted to your first post on my google mail.

Although I don't even remember the school window now.

regards Alanbro.

It was a circular frosted window with the school opening details etched on it. The window was situated in the corner of the entrance hall at the Assembly Hall end, it would look over the school gardens.

---------- Post added 18-04-2013 at 12:06 ----------

Hi, I remember Mr. Foat and yes, he was the art teacher. He lodged at with a Mr & Mrs Woollen who lived in a house just above Binghams Farm on the Wheel (left hand side as you face up the hill) When Woollens left, their house was bought by Walt Walker who opened the garage on the Common which was later taken over by Eric Stead.

I remember Mr. Foat he was a nice guy, his nickname at that time was" Moon Man" because he used to tell us kids that one day in the near future that man would go to the Moon, now in the early 50's really was visionary. Very occasionally if we were good he would let us go out of the circular window on to the school roof.

Mr Brook, well what can one say, he used to give us all a few whacks with the with most of it deserved I must say. I was at the school form 51-55 and in that time we had 3 Heads one guy who always wore smock I can't remember his name, then Mr.Clayton who took over as head at Yew Lane then Mr Brook.

I have a photograph of the school teaching staff at the end of the 55 year, this was taken after the schools first speech day.

Edited by skis

Walker's house on The Wheel is now the vicarage for Saint Mary's Church.

Not if it is above Binghams Farm and "on the left hand side looking up the hill"!!

Not if it is above Binghams Farm and "on the left hand side looking up the hill"!!

It is 230 The Wheel and just by the turn off to Cinder Hill Lane. Honest. Walter Walker lived there, followed by Mr & Mrs Sanders. It is now the vicarage. I was the village postman for 24 years and knew them well.

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 18:39 ----------

It was a circular frosted window with the school opening details etched on it. The window was situated in the corner of the entrance hall at the Assembly Hall end, it would look over the school gardens.

I remember Mr. Foat he was a nice guy, his nickname at that time was" Moon Man" because he used to tell us kids that one day in the near future that man would go to the Moon, now in the early 50's really was visionary. Very occasionally if we were good he would let us go out of the circular window on to the school roof.

Mr Brook, well what can one say, he used to give us all a few whacks with the with most of it deserved I must say. I was at the school form 51-55 and in that time we had 3 Heads one guy who always wore smock I can't remember his name, then Mr.Clayton who took over as head at Yew Lane then Mr Brook.

I have a photograph of the school teaching staff at the end of the 55 year, this was taken after the schools first speech day.

Could you post the photograph on her for us please.

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 18:40 ----------

Ralph Brooke was a complete bar steward. There is nothing anyone can say about him that is nice.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

School playing field: When I went to school at the infant, junior and secondary modern, we used to walk diagonally across the playing field. In about 1954-55, a boundary fence was erected and consequently we had to go around the periphery of the playing fields and across Singleton's field. After a while some pupils started to climb over the fence, which was eventually flattened. When Mr. Brook found out he went completely ape and all the boys from that end of the village who were in the 3rd and 4th years were assembled in the hall and all were given 2 whacks, one on each hand. There were 25 of us, I know I was the last in the queue and I counted them all. Imagine what would happen in today's climate!

---------- Post added 21-04-2013 at 17:42 ----------

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p704/Ian7658/bth_EcclesfieldSecModTeachers_zps9a458413.jpg?t=1366558716

The above link is to a photo of teachers at Ecclesfield Secondary Modern in 1955. To the best of my recollection the names are:

From left to right back row:

School Secretary (?); not known; Mr. Fred Mann; Mr. Tighe; Mr. Herbert Foat; Charles Cooper; Mr. Lang; Mr. Jack Wood; not known'; Mrs. Joyce Bickerstaff.

Left to right Front row: not known; Mrs. Everard; Mr. John Senior; Mr. Ralph Brook (headmaster); school governor; Vicar Hayes; Mrs. Dolly Wright; Miss Molly Armstrong.

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 16:41 ----------

I understand the above link is not creating the photo, so I am giving it again, below. I believe this link is OK.

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p704/Ian7658/EcclesfieldSecModTeachers_zps9a458413.jpg

If memory serves me right, Mr. Mann and Mr. Wood left at the end of the academic year, 1955.

Thanks Nigel for that information. There was a government minister of that name around that time indeed his grandson is Peter Mandelson. I think that the opening year was 1939/40. When I came from the junior school I remember looking at the window and thinking what a funny time to build a school when there was a war on.

I will contact Wakefield Town Council to see if they have any info, another thought that I had was the" South Yorkshire Times." I would have thought that the school opening would have been reported at the time, I understand that the SYT archive is situated at Doncaster Library which I intend to visit.

I visited the South Yorkshire Times archive a few years ago. However it was in Sheffield Central Library. I made the mistake of going to Doncaster first. Give Sheffield Central Library a ring. Hope this helps.