Sign in to follow this  

What is the best way to stop smoking?

Whilst I smoke occasionally - I seem to have inherited my uncles ability to go from smoking large amounts at stressful times, to finding the smell of smoke repulsive and ordering the hubby out of the room. :D

It annoys the hell out of my husband and his dad, they cannot understand how I do it, neither can I. I have been scrutinised for inhaling - which I do.

So I cannot really be of much help, those little sticks just don't seem to get hold of me like thr rest :D

Moon

I found Zyban pretty helpful, can recommend it, go see your doctor and ask about it

Firstly I would recommend Alan Carrs book as previously mentioned.

I've recently stopped smoking (after 20 years!). I've just done it by cold turkey. The first week was touch and go but ater that it has been pretty easy. Actually it's a lot easier than you think! After 3 days all the nicotine should be gone from your body after that it's really a psychological battle. I think you really have to decide that you want to do it.

Also I've found drinking water has helped. I've got one of those bottles with a sports cap so I still have the hand/mouth/suck action, except I can do this at work without being thrown out of the building, and I get my daily water fix!

I heartily recommend this site:

http://www.quitbuddies.org/

There is an excellent FAQ there with tons of advice about stopping smoking. Also there is info about the usenet group ALT.SUPPORT.STOP-SMOKING which created the FAQ and web site. If you subscribe to the group you can pair up with others who are trying to give up and offer each other support/advice etc. when you give up.

Also there's good advice from the NHS at

http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/

Hope some or all of that is of some help.

Go for it!

Nomme

--

Stopped smoking now for : Two months, two weeks, five days, 11 hours, 59 minutes and 4 seconds. 2012 cigarettes not smoked, saving £100.62. Life saved: 6 days, 23 hours, 40 minutes.

Another vote for Allen Carr's book here, I went from twenty a day to none overnight and don't miss them at all. I know loads of people that have read and haven't heard anyone it hasn't worked for.

thank you for all that info i will let you all know when i stop big hugs to all :D

I have tried the lot,

Gum - Taste awful

Zyban - OK but I found once I came off it the cravings came back

Books, Web Sites - I found it difficult without any nicotine replacement therapy.

Patches have worked the best for me, this allows you to stop without any cravings as you are still getting nicotine into your body. I have smoked for 20 years and tried to give up many times, this time I have been more determined.

Now gone about 3 months and it is still hard especially when I am out woth others who smoke or in a pub.

Originally posted by chill

Another vote for Allen Carr's book here, I went from twenty a day to none overnight and don't miss them at all. I know loads of people that have read and haven't heard anyone it hasn't worked for.

I read it, with a growing feeling of dread at the solution that he doesn't mention until the end of the book.

It's a brainwashing solution, but good brain washing , i.e cleaning out all the cigarette based thoughts. But I resisted, so it didn't work.

Might try patches, gotta quit soon

Hi there... Try nicotine chewing gums in the beginning... Gradually u will be able to control your urge for cigarettes!!

[Edited by Tony Ruscoe - no need to shout ;) ]

Originally posted by marie1951

how can you stop smoking what is the best way to stop

its not very.. you just have to very slowly reduce the amount you smoke..

and when you want one.. you should try and do something else to try and keep urselff occupied so that you maybe able to forget about the ciggie

goOd luck!

When I smoked cigarettes, I suddenly realised that I was on my way to a painfull debilitating condition which meant circulation problems, (amputation of limbs) emphisemia, Heart disease, Brain tumor, Cancer of the lung, Gasping for breath on my deathbed.

So, I decided to stop smoking, fine in theory, but how? The first thing to do is cut down, one a day less the first week, two a day less the second week and so on until you are only smoking three per day, one after breakfast, one after lunch, and one after dinner.

From then on you have cracked it, because, if you can manage on three per day you don't need any at all. All this happened fifty years ago and I can still breath perfectly and I am in good health apart from a little Arthritis.