The large water feature at Sheffield train station

Indeed. I wonder if Bizzy_Lizzy is a hygiene freak, perchance?

Yes like most people hygiene is important to me especially when it comes to children you wouldn't let your children play in the toilet water whether its been bleached or not.

I never said that i didn't like the look of the fountain personally i do but i said it was a waste of money take the beggers off the street and give them a home the city would look far better the fountain only disguises the problems not sorts them.

Yes like most people hygiene is important to me especially when it comes to children you wouldn't let your children play in the toilet water whether its been bleached or not.

I never said that i didn't like the look of the fountain personally i do but i said it was a waste of money take the beggers off the street and give them a home the city would look far better the fountain only disguises the problems not sorts them.

Is it a waste of money though? Allot of business men/women will be coming to sheffield by train and if the first impression is a nice looking station in a regenerated/regenerating area then they are more likely to invest in the area and hence more money in the local economy. This is just one way of viewing it. If we did nothing to update our city then you would probably find more people on the street than off it.

Whenever I have been to the station there have always been city centre ambassadors around making sure nothing untoward happens. It certainly feels allot safer around that area now.

Of course kids can have fun but is a city centre really the place to see kids in summer in swimming costumes running in and out of a fountain!

They are only there because it's free.

How about take said children to a swimming pool or the seaside or the park etc. Or is it because some parents are too selfish these days and want to do their shopping and the child can wait.

Maybe its me but sometimes does not the child come before the parent?

It's exactly because the children are important to the parents that we see them playing in town. Parents have to shop, just like anyone else. It is all very well to imagine family life being a rollercoaster of day trips to the seaside, hours playing in the park, pool etc. The reality is that we have to shop, cook, clean, wash and work too.

So a loving parent will try to make sure the child is happy while the chores are getting done. A trip to the shops may be essential, but can be boring for children. Break it up with a play in the winter gardens or the peace gardens and a read in the children's library and you have a happy child.

The children playing in the fountains are likely to also be the ones who do all those things you seem to think they should be doing instead. A parent who just wants to do their own thing isn't going to break off what they're doing to let their child play are they? Instead, you'll see them yelling at their kids while the kids screaming or eating sausage rolls and crisps to shut them up.

The first thing I saw in Sheffield (apart from the bus station) was the peace gardens. It was a warm Sunday afternoon and the children were darting around in the fountain, couples snuggling up together on the grass, there was a fun atmosphere of laughter and relaxation and I honestly thought it was like a sunny day in Italy. Top marks for the designers as far as Im concerned.

That is exactly what is going to happen. :)

The new market halls complex is springing up at the side of the moor as we speak.

This sounds interesting! any details? and any idea of time scale ?

thanks.

I think it's a great addition and not a waste of money at all if it has a positive contribution to the city's economy, not to mention the other benefits.

Does anybody know if smoke comes from it ........ it certainly seemed to the other night.

Were there people at the other side of it having a ciggie? LOL

No I don't think it's supposed to smoke. Maybe the water was hot for some reason?

Don't know about smoke but maybe steam off the lights. I'm very pro-water feature and all the regeneration of the city. Not only does it looks good but also it make the city a better place to live.

When I first moved here people where I'm from thought it was a grim place with no jobs cos all the steel works had closed down so now everybody who visits me I take for a tour of the city's strong points starting with the station and it really creats an good impression now they all what to live here.

I really think people don't really appreciate just what a beautiful city we have

This sounds interesting! any details? and any idea of time scale ?

thanks.

Unfortunately I think it's gonna take quite a long time (Although if that means the cities development continues then it's probably a good thing). The new car park for the new markets is under construction at the moment and the market building itself should be following soon, however it's not likely to be completed till 2010/2011. Then the council has to get funding for the new square, design it, pass it through planning, demolish the old markets then build the new square. I reckon the earliest we will be seeing it is maybe sometime around 2015!

The smoke on the water may have been someone returning from a concert in London. But I think it was just something like when fog clings to a lake - it really looked impressive the other night with the lights on it too.

I think it is great also.It gives the visitors to the city a very good first impression.It is about time we started spending money on selling the city a bit more like all the other cities do.

I think all of the new city centre looks great, and it certainly gives all my visitors a great impression.

Not their FIRST impression though - their first impression is what they see from the train on the way in (or as they travel through if not actually getting off at Sheffield) - from the North its the back of the incinerator (Green Energy Recovery Facility) and litter and graffittii in the tunnels under the parkway. From the south its the litter and graffitti and untidy rear of B&Q (where trains often wait for a few mins if early). I've had visitors come who've travelled through Sheffield before without getting off and seen that view. Yes its great to see their impression change when they do visit, but some of that view on the approach/journey through could be improved

My suggestions:

Veolia to sponsor some public art in the tunnels, something that lights up in the dark (without frightening the train drivers)

B&Q to sponsor some form of regularly changing display at the rear of their store - seasonal themes, or linked to events in the city or exhibitions at the galleries.

Both sites to be tidied and kept tidy, and have prominent 'Welcome to Sheffield' signs lit up at night and kept graffitti free and repainted long before they fade and look tatty.

And yes there's been poor planning of the capacity of the footbridge, long walk to bus stops, and to replacement buses, but I've windged on about that lots of times before. The station square does look great by day and by night.

My point is people will pee in it and people will allow their children to play in it how revolting

I'm more concerned with the tons of dog **** in our parks that kids fall into to be honest.

it does infact produce mist as part of it cycle!

the lights goe from white to off then start gradually lighting up orange whilst releasing a mist across the plaza