Sheffield landlords and landladies past

the stag at woodhouse,jim and paula mcguigan,top pub in the 80,s early 90,s anyone who was there knows what it was like,proper pub no b.......ks,nice place to be, need i say more?

Bill Hofmann had the Sportsman at Lodge Moor in the 70’s. I worked for him until 1979 when I took the New Inn in Chesterfield

I used to frequent the Sportsman at Crosspool when Ernie had it. Besides the singer, they had a pianist. I think he was called Terry Spivey???

Friday nights was youth club night at St Columba’s and we nip across to the Tavern. Can’t remember the landlady’s name but her barman was Nelson and he would walk around Crosspool with the pub parrot on his shoulder. The parrot had the run of the bar and finished most nights falling off the bar.

Just remembered name of land lady who had Crosspool Tavern in the 60’s, it was Vera

I used to frequent the Sportsman at Crosspool when Ernie had it. Besides the singer, they had a pianist. I think he was called Terry Spivey???

Friday nights was youth club night at St Columba’s and we nip across to the Tavern. Can’t remember the landlady’s name but her barman was Nelson and he would walk around Crosspool with the pub parrot on his shoulder. The parrot had the run of the bar and finished most nights falling off the bar.

Our paths may have crossed. I attended St. Columbas and the Sportsman and Crosspool Tavern. I've sent you a PM.

Hi I'm Roiger Nowill that used to be at "The Frog"

My wife, Joan, and I recently returned to Sheffield, because of Joan's faltering health.

Wow Sheffield has changed so much.

By the way when I was at The Frog, I had commemorative Pots made for each of the special brews I made.

I have no use for them now so if the are of any use as decoration for anyone, just email me and you are welcome to them.

We now live in Aston amnd don't get into City centre very often, but the pubs are now mostly "faceless"

Licensees used to be characters but now most are just shopkeepers.

Should anyone fancy a pint just email me and we can meet up

Cheers

That was a great pub when you had it, cracking beer and a lovely atmosphere, had a few family do's upstairs, not the same now of course.

I totally agree about Joan and Freddie Lee, been friends of their family for a long time now, what a gent was fred and a kidder too, wanted me to call my son, John Lawerence instead of shaun. When they were at the Hearts of Oak my husband got dressed up as Joan for a fancy dress competition and even got into the ladies toilet with no problems. and before you ask yes when joan saw him he did win !!

As for the comments about a radio interview, i think a pre-recorded version or a book would be a lot better as if you know Joan she tells it how it is and no messing.

Haven't seen her or michelle for a long time and would really love to see them, so if you read this send me response please michelle as you never made that call to me that you were supposed to!!! or did you lose my number?

Not the landlord, but at the Phoenix in Ridgeway there was an old guy called Arthur who used to wear a white jacket and he would take your order and bring your pints. He was a lovely old bloke. Anyone know what happened to him?

Also my mum's cousin, June, ran the Queen's Head in Pond St for quite a few years. Started many a night there.

Had some good times with Garth & Wendy when they ran the Brown Cow, Mowbray Street. Wendy has since died, bless her.

Did you go in before Garth and Wendy took over?

Hi Pete i know Garth and the late Wendy, we had a pub in Brinsworth which they once ran, Wendy was one of the nicest women you could meet and Garth was such a character, you could not go home he would keep you entertained all day.

And he wore expensive suits as I remember :D