Sheffield landlords and landladies past

was he a former Sheff football player back in the 70's? Is he still at the freemasons, where is he now......I remember the very dated mid 70's perm he used to have when I drank in the Rising Sun in 82/3.

That's your man, with perm, but he did play in the 1966 FA Cup final for the Owls. Someone recently posted to say Grahan Pugh was now at Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire. In what line, I know not?

That's your man, with perm, but he did play in the 1966 FA Cup final for the Owls. Someone recently posted to say Grahan Pugh was now at Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire. In what line, I know not?

pugh played number 7 in the 1966 cup final .wednesday by the way played in white.

In 1958/59 beer was 1/6d.

Newly built 3 bedroomed semi was £1,850, extra wall plugs £4/10s and a garage to go with the house was £200

My husband brought home about £11 a wk and that was with overtime.

hazel

what about Mr Ted Nutthall of the Forty foot on Donavan road /parson cross.he was tennant of this pub from "61 to maybe late 70s.

still with us i believe ,beer was 1 and 10 a pint in "65 when I started drinking in there at 17

also no mention of Terry Steeples from the Mucky Duck.

what about Mr Ted Nutthall of the Forty foot on Donavan road /parson cross.he was tennant of this pub from "61 to maybe late 70s.

still with us i believe ,beer was 1 and 10 a pint in "65 when I started drinking in there at 17

The forty foot was great when Ted had it.We had a lot of good times in there.My grandad was part of the fixtures along with a lot of the regular faces.

Doe's anyone remember Bill and Edith Gandy from the Wharncliffe Hotel at Firth Park. This was a real pub before all this namby pamby theme things. It was a pub for real live music and on the odd occation a bit off dispute, but full of characertures, that is real people.

My favourite landlady was Linda Greatorex who ran the Harlequin in the Wicker, now sadly demolished and then the Red House on Solly Street. They were great Sheffield live music pubs with always something going on. Full of characters these pubs, i spent many happy nights there playing and singing till the wee small hours. She was very welcoming but firm and fair when there were proplems!! She retired from the Red House a few years ago and all the magic disappeared overnight. Sadly missed, hope she is fit and well.

Do you think pub 'landlords' (I never liked that term) still hold the prestige and status these days? You can still run a pub and buy a Rolls Royce from wet sales alone, believe me! Some people talk of the 'golden age' of running pubs, but I think that is just the illusion of hindsight......the golden age is now, because a golden age is what you want it to be...Ok many pubs don't have 'proper' old skool landlords these days, but there are still plenty about......

I admire your optimistic views and hope that you are right. However I have seen too many pubs demolished, boarded up, changed use etc to think that the licencing trade is going in the right direction.

Sheffield city centre is far changed from my younger days, some 55,000 students give it an age imbalance as opposed to the suburbs so I concede that something had to give. However when I was their age I loved traditional pubs, the current set of youngsters accept whatever the brewers tell them is right for them.

What about daft name changes? The Yorksireman has been renamed The Lions Lair and it has taken years for The Prince of Wales on Ecclesall Road South following two silly name changes to get its name back.

To add Brian and Barbra two fantastic people-Crows Nest, Hyde Park flats

George Dalton-Hermatage ,London Road-Now Anglers rest Handsworth

Ken (R.I.P) and Marg -Shakespear,Shalesmoor

Gordon and Mavis Banister-then Bob and Jean Chapman- carlton social club

pure coincidence but all fantastic wards watering holes.

I've an idea that beer was 1/6 in about 1958/9. that was 7 and a 1/2p.

There was a landlord, small with a large handlebar moustache and a barmaid or wife called Dolly had a pub on the Base Green, not sure if it was the Centre Spot.

They said Dolly made his fortune with her blonde curls, her teeth and earings flashing and not forgetting her magnificent bosom which heaved up and down as she laughed.

hazel

John and Jean Price of The Sportsman, Cambridge Street - then they moved to The Rutland in the Paternoster Row area (Brown Street?). They made that a fantastic, friendly pub.

Jean died several years ago, and I'm not sure where John is now, but I have fond memories of the Sportsman. In fact is was John who drove my ex to the church when he missed his train to our wedding- come to think of it, maybe he shouldn't have bothered!

Doe's anyone remember Bill and Edith Gandy from the Wharncliffe Hotel at Firth Park. This was a real pub before all this namby pamby theme things. It was a pub for real live music and on the odd occation a bit off dispute, but full of characertures, that is real people.

i seem to remember that name was it after bullivant or some name like thathad it